aerial fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l don,t know if anyone can help,but l,ve putting a tv aerial on the roof and could do with the best way to get the reception spot on.cheers

Sponsored Links
ray316 said:
l don,t know if anyone can help,but l,ve putting a tv aerial on the roof and could do with the best way to get the reception spot on.cheers

fine tune TV?

make sure aerial is high so it gets better signal

Sponsored Links
Ignoring all other pathetic sarcastic comments, look which way your neighbours ones point and align accordingly.

I've tired two methods in the past, both equally good.

1. You need two people for this with mobile phones. One on the roof, one at the TV. You can guess the rest (copy a neighbours for the rough direction).

2. Get a 1:50000 OS map of your area and locate your house and the TV mast. Using a compass take a bearing from your house to the mast then get up on the roof and use the compass to give you the direction of the mast (remember to add on magnetic variation). Any outdoors type should be able to help you with this.

Remember there may be more than one mast in your area and the closest is not always best (depends on how much power they pump out). Check out this site to find the best one for your location -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/tv_trans/index.shtml

It also depends on your location and reception area to do with the geography of your area and whether you are in a valley or ontop of a hill etc as to whether an aerial alone or one that needs a masthead amp or not. check the BBC website for details of your area.

If you're on your own, turn the telly volume up as high as it can go, with the telly tuned into a station that you know works, so that you can hear it on the roof.

Twist the aerial in one direction until the sound goes off. Note this position. then twist it in the other direction until the sound goes off again, and note this position. Your aerial then wants to point directly in the middle of these two points.

I've recently done this and all the advice given so far is pretty well spot on. Best starting point is to look at the neighbours aerials but a handy tip from my Satellite dish aligning days is to mark a reference point on a u bolt next to the pole and mark graduations on the pole itself (say 5 mm apart). That way you have a reference to your starting point before you start to twist the aerial on it's pole.

If it's for an analogue signal, watch out for any ghosting which is usually caused by reflections of the signal from other buildings so the graduations on the post allow you to really fine tune but you'll need to go up and down the ladder quite a bit to see if the ghosting gets better or worse.

If it's for a digital signal, a lot of receivers have a built in signal strength and quality meter so it's just a case of rotating the post until you get as high a signal reading as you can. My aerial was a bit over the top so I got a strong signal so long as it was pointing roughly in the right direction.

Hope that helps.
Jon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back