aesthetic question re ceiling downlights and worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three questions:
1. How many halogen downlights would be sufficient for a kitchen 4m x 3m with worksurfaces all round (two 60 cm tall cabinets)

2. As a general rule how do you position downlights in relation to how far from the wall should they be placed when over a kitchen worktop (600mm depth).

3. How far from a tall cabinet should they be.

My electrician is doing it but he's asked me to roughly mark out what I want. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I meant to say there will be two halogen lights in the cooker hood (which probably won't get used much) and no under cabinet lighting.

Also, are halogen the best type of lights for kitchen? I don't like the fluorescent look!!

Thanks

It depends on the purpose of the individual lights - task or accent.

For task lighting you want to make the work area bright, particularly if there is potential danger (e.g. using a sharp knife). So either you'll have a fixed DL directly above or an adjustable DL at a suitable angle.

Accent lighting is for lighting a feature in the room, however it can also provide ambient light under the right circumstances. Personally I like the wall-washing effect from adjustable or eyeball DLs or the the effect of over-cabinet up-lights (where I prefer flourescent tube). Of course this works best if the walls & ceiling are in a light colour.

A 'rule-of-thumb' spacing (between lights and light to wall or unit) is 1m. However that's often quoted for 50W halogens. Appropriate use of lower wattage halogens means that the distances can be a bit lower, and this may be important when you find out exactly where the joists are.

You can pay a bit more and get Osram IRC or Philips Masterline ES halogens. These are more efficient than standard so a 35W lamp gives off as much light as a 50W conventional halogen. I find that 20W is adequate for many locations.

So in summary you should be thinking of around 6-8 DLs, but it depends on their purpose and where the joists are.

I also recommend you consider a temporary hook-up of some lamps (its easy to do) and play with the positions until you get the desired effect. The when the holes are cut, they only need to be cut once!

Sponsored Links
Three questions:
1. How many halogen downlights would be sufficient for a kitchen 4m x 3m with worksurfaces all round (two 60 cm tall cabinets)
none.

2. As a general rule how do you position downlights in relation to how far from the wall should they be placed when over a kitchen worktop (600mm depth).
Whatever looks good.

3. How far from a tall cabinet should they be.
Whatever looks good.

Seriously, dont use halogen downlights in your kitchen. They cast shadows everywhere and create unnessecary heat. :( A better light to use, with the same look, is compact fluorescent lamps which look like halogen downlights. :) I have some in my bathroom. They have a much wider beam, and use a fifth of the energy. 9 watts is sufficient IMO. The only downside is the warm up time, though this may have improved on the newer ones. Mine take about 3-4 mins to reach full brightness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back