African American

I want to know why its ok to have a Scottish nationalist party but not a British nationalist party, not that i belong to either just seems unbalanced to me.

Do you mean an English Nationalist Party?

Personally, I'm in favour of a Yorkshire Nationalist Party.

Sponsored Links
Not really cos there's no such thing, but if there was I'm sure it would be considered racist. YNP bloody northerners hehe

Can we get some feedback from the people who think the mobo's are racist? Quite typical of DM readers and kippers

It's like this:
Everyone is equal. Everyone should be treated the same. There should be no distinction between black & white.

I'm sure the majority of white people are fine with that. I personally have no problem with everyone being treated fairly and equally.

So why are these organisations, awards, charities etc created to do exactly the opposite?

The title 'Music of black origin, immediately excludes any music of white origin. (I actually like a lot of black music which stems from attending a lot of West Indian parties when I was a teenager), so I don't have a problem with the music, just the exclusion of others.

The Institute for black charities: Immediately excludes white charity.

The list goes on and there would be too many to list, google and you will see. But google white charities and there is nothing specific to whites, just general charities because they are not allowed to appear biased towards colour.

If we are serious about stamping out racism then we have to stop positive segregation surely?

Why can't the do gooders just let black people get on with their lives, get on with intergrating and stop treating them differently to everyone else. I am sure they would much prefer that.

Sponsored Links
What squeaky completely fails to grasp is that mobo is a description of a type of music. It is nothing to do with the origins of the writers or performers and is no more racist than, for instance, The Blues.

I think the MOBO awards are racist but there's nothing I can do about it.

Founded in 1996, the MOBO Organisation was established by Kanya King MBE to recognise the outstanding achievements of artists who perform music in genres ranging from Gospel, Jazz, RnB, Soul, Reggae to Hip Hop. Over the past 17 years MOBO has played an instrumental role in elevating black music and culture to mainstream popular status in the UK.

MOBO has grown quickly to become Europe’s leading urban music brand, and supports a huge variety of genres not just at the annual Awards but all year round through a series of other initiatives.
http://www.mobo.com/about-us
I've highlighted the important bit for you. It says nothing about the artists ethnicity.
Why don't you start an award for the genre of music that you prefer. As long as it doesn't restrict the artists who perfrom (by race, faith, sexuality, ethnicity, etc ), there would be nothing racist about it.

BTW, it only took me about ten seconds to find the web page and another 30 seconds to find the quote and copy it across.
You could have done that before forming or expressing your opinion.

I aslo note that this subject was discussed in 2004 and again in 2010. No doubt it'll re-surface again in another few years with claims that it is racist.

LOL, did you even read your own link?
Why not enlighten me to that which you think I missed.
Before you do, if it's "the promotion of black music", don't bother.
That would be like suggesting that promoting an Indian Restaurant, or a German Market, African art or a Spanish omelette is somehow racist.

That would be like suggesting that promoting an Indian Restaurant, or a German Market, African art or a Spanish omelette is somehow racist.

So you would be perfectly happy with an organisation that exclusively promoted white music?

Let's wait and see if you can answer this with a simple yes or no, and not your usual waffle.

So you would be perfectly happy with an organisation that exclusively promoted white music?

Let's wait and see if you can answer this with a simple yes or no, and not your usual waffle.
If you can define "white music" I can give a straight answer.
But I certainly support Classic Brit Awards http://www.classicbrits.co.uk/
Irish Music Awards http://www.irishmusicawards.com/
Folk Music Awards http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e24mxj
and no doubt any others you wish to mention.

I was going to ask a similar question, but you beat me to it.

I suppose that "Music of White Origin" would encompass about 99.9% of all Western music and, for that reason, some would argue that it would be unnecessary to have an organisation to promote it.

But, if that's the case, shouldn't black (and I believe that term is still an acceptable description) people feel rather patronised by a "MOBO" organisation being necessary? Surely, that would suggest that "MOBO" music is so insignificant that its promotion is essential.

I was going to ask a similar question, but you beat me to it.

I suppose that "Music of White Origin" would encompass about 99.9% of all Western music and, for that reason, some would argue that it would be unnecessary to have an organisation to promote it.
There's no cure for such ignorance.
Jazz is a genre of music that originated in African-American. Wikipedia
Rock and roll is a genre of popular music that originated and evolved in the United States primarily from a combination of African-American genres such as blues, jump blues, jazz, and gospel music. Wikipedia
Ethnomusicologist Gerhard Kubik traces the roots of many of the elements that were to develop into the blues back to the African continent, the "cradle of the blues. Wikipedia.
I could go on to cover a host of other genres. But perhaps you could do it yourself.
So, except for classical and other ethnic music such as Irish, Scottish, Breton, Folk, etc, any popular music that did not include "music of black origin" would be rather thin on the ground.

But, if that's the case, shouldn't black (and I believe that term is still an acceptable description) people feel rather patronised by a "MOBO" organisation being necessary? Surely, that would suggest that "MOBO" music is so insignificant that its promotion is essential.
Maybe, just maybe, the MOBO awards were created because black musicians were not being recognised in the existing awards, even in the categories that included "music of black origin".
So maybe, just maybe, there was an informal prejudice against black musicians which was not reflected against white musicians by the MOBO awards.
It wasn't that "black" music was or is insignificant, it certainly isn't, see my comments about origins. It was that black musicians were not being recognised. But an award for black, or white, musicians would be considered racist. So a new award was created that was not prejudiced to either white or black musicians.

This is getting very tedious. It's a Daily Mail / kipper argument put forward by racists pretending they aren't. Generally by people who aren't smart enough to spend a short time looking things up but just focus on the single word black, claim it is racist or anti-white or some such tosh.
It is interesting that the right wing are so stupid

Sponsored Links
Back