After 30 years in the trade...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...I suddenly twigged that 38mm plastic capping makes an excellent plaster guard. To my mind, it's always better to be able to plaster right over accessory boxes than fiddle about trying to go round them:

upload_2020-11-19_11-19-37.png

Is there anything that you have discovered after years working as a spark that made you think, " This makes my life a little bit easier, I wish I'd thought of this earlier!"?

Sponsored Links
Not electrical, well, car electrical. Removing spark plugs from well in the recess of some engines can be a fiddle. You can loosen them but sometimes the plug won’t stay in the socket. I once saw someone use something ingenious and perfect for removing spark plugs from the recess. What’s more, it cost nothing and every car has just the right tool to do this. The spark plug lead and cap!

I use an Envelop to often catch Drill dust or a dustpan and brush underneath areas I'm working at.

Sponsored Links
...I suddenly twigged that 38mm plastic capping makes an excellent plaster guard. To my mind, it's always better to be able to plaster right over accessory boxes than fiddle about trying to go round them:

View attachment 211982

Is there anything that you have discovered after years working as a spark that made you think, " This makes my life a little bit easier, I wish I'd thought of this earlier!"?
Great idea!
Usually i fill the box with newspaper and some seller tape, but this is better.

I have 30 emergency bulkheads to fit, the "knockouts" are the type that need cutting with a stanley knife, using a hole saw in the past has been a bit drastic because it grabs the plastic and can wreck the fitting, so I have using the drill in reverse and it cuts / wears its way through leaving a clean hole

I probably have OCD. I cut dozens of these out of old plastic folders.

upload_2020-11-19_15-8-37.jpeg

Attachments

• 20201119_150421.jpg
    20201119_150421.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 63
I'm completely OCD in saving regular minutes. I'll spend (happily waste) many hours devising things that in the long run will save me just minutes of time and effort. I spend many hours long ago, devising a washing line which cranks up and down to loading level, on pulleys so that you can stand in one spot to load and unload it.

Too the good - we have a very big garden and long washing lines were continually snapping. Since I devised this system a couple of decades ago, using stainless steel wire, it has remained 100% reliable. Washing rises up to eaves height, so it always dries much faster too.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back