After some clarification please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

have been lurking here a while and responded to a couple of topics, i think i have my situation covered but i just need some clarification.

Tiles for the walls and floor are 600mmx400mmx10mm Porcelain. Weight approx 28Kg sqm with addy and grout, i plan on using a rapidset flexi adhesive and grout, probably Granfix as i have used it before. Oh and i have a wet cutter and diamond bladed angle grinder for cuts.

I am completely redoing my bathroom, stud walls being built around the shower bath to conceal the shower valve and wall mounted taps. I plan to clad this with 12.5mm Aquapanel. This will take 50Kg sqm weight, according to BNQ website.

For the floor, currently i have floorboards, most are bowed and the edge boards seem slightly higher than the rest, they are however solid and there is no deflection in the floor so do i:-

1. Overboard with 15mm Ply, my concern with this is the bowing and the uneven edges, could cause lippage in the tiles if i cannot get it down completely flat

2. Overboard with Aquapanel or Marmox boards, secured with flexi addy, taped and screwed down.

3. Rip the lot up, add extra noggins and put down 25mm Ply, back and edges treated with SBR acrylic primer.

Plan to redo heating pipework anyway, and add a towel rail, so some of the boards will need to come up,

So i guess the question is have i missed anything, is option 3 for the floor the best one, and have i got the bath/shower area covered?

Sponsored Links
option 3
dependant on size off room and joists etc...you may get away with 18/22mm wbp ply...

as a trade off on expense\hassle etc, and as youve stated that the boards are solid and theres little deflection i personally wouldnt rip up and ply.

I'd follow this to the letter http://www.nomoreply.net/overboarding TIMBER.htm using a 6mm board. give a great base IMO.

Thats not to do tic tics method down, it will work perfectly i just feel its more work and cost.

Thanks for the response guys, the room is approx 2.6Mtr square, joists are 6 X 2" and are 14" centres.

will check the link you provided and come back

Yep i remember now seen that stuff before when i was surfing around, what about the floor edges and the bowing of the boards, will this stuff still work?

Sponsored Links
really depends how much bowing your talking about. pop a 1000mm level on, if your above 5mm bowing then it may be a bit awkward

Will have to check, level is in the shed will have a look tomorrow. Thanks again

really depends how much bowing your talking about. pop a 1000mm level on, if your above 5mm bowing then it may be a bit awkward

tpt
what price you selling nmp and your hardie boards...

been on your site,looks good..but..a few spelling errors mate...

WBS...wbp
Scottich islands...scottiSh

what's your prices on your addy to,dont know if your allowed to say,if not pm me with your prices.. ;)
cheers tt

thats for the feedback -really appreciate it. sorted the spelling mistakes - just starting the web promotion and i feel like i've been typing for days !

retail nmp 9.99 a board, supergrip 12.99 10ltr. do mostly granfix addy and i know i can be hot on price on that but we also sell palace, mapei and bal.

p.s. i know your not retail ;) notice your in glasgow...no probs shipping to you but dunno if delivery costs would be prohibitive - depends on qty i guess?

either way, any and all feedback on the site always welcome.

not quite sorted the spelling mistakes - just realised the spell checker in my editor isn't working, and your right theres a lot! guess i know what i'm doing tomorrow now then :)

3. Rip the lot up, add extra noggins and put down 25mm Ply, back and edges treated with SBR acrylic primer.
Would always be my preferred option, you'll know exactly where you are with it; what span are your joists?

But given this;
currently i have floorboards, most are bowed and the edge boards seem slightly higher than the rest
I would definitely do it, levelling the joists if needs be; you need to get the floor pretty flat with tiles that size for it to look good.

OK looks like it is option 3, joists are approx 14" centres.

Last question for now, am i right to use a thickbed/solidbed trowel on both the floor and the walls for tiles of this size?

I was thinking of getting one of THESE

Last question for now, am i right to use a thickbed/solidbed trowel on both the floor and the walls for tiles of this size?
For the floor you need a large format trowel - 20mm round notches, 13mm deep, at 28mm centres.

For the walls, I’d use a thick bed, solid bed trowel - 20mm round notches, 10mm deep, at 28mm centres.
or
Where the tile base is nice & flat you could use a thin bed solid bed trowel - 10mm tapering notches, 5mm deep, at 12.5mm centres.

I generally use the thick bed trowel though.

I was thinking of getting one of THESE
Not sure why the fancy notches & can’t see any detail of the notch size; looks unnecessarily fussy to me.

joists are approx 14" centres.
what span are your joists?
joist span = the joist length between the supports; this will usually be between an external wall & an internal dividing wall either full height or sometimes just on the floor below.

Thanks Mr C for the info on trowels, any recommendations as to where is the best place to buy?

joist span = the joist length between the supports; this will usually be between an external wall & an internal dividing wall either full height or sometimes just on the floor below.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=274391&highlight=#ixzz1MEgun9xy

That will be me not reading the reply correctly :oops: Joist span is 2.6Mtrs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back