after tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i want to tile my bathroom. I have read somewhere that once the bathroom has been tiled and grouted, i can not use it right away, i mean especially round the bathtub, but i should wait 7 days. Is there any reason behind it? I thought that once the grout has gone off i could have a bath/shower straight away.......which also means adding 7 extra days to the project!!!!! Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Afraid it can be even worse than that in a wet area; you will find nearly all adhesive/grout manufacturers recommend not using a shower for 2 weeks!

Reason is that although the adhesive & grout may be set &, depending on the size of your tiles & the type of adhesive used, this could take several days in itself, it will not be fully cured & can be still affected by moisture which will ultimately affect its strength. Something you may not realise is that waterproof adhesive & grout is only waterproof in the sense it won’t disintegrate when exposed to moisture, apart from epoxy products, it is not impervious to water which is why it’s important you tile base is waterproof.

Having said all that, it should be OK to use the bath as long as you don’t go throwing too much water around but I would not advise using a shower.

You could buy a cheap shower curtain or polythene dust sheet and tape it up so it overlaps into bath so you can use straight away and remove after a week.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back