Aggregate for railway sleeper foundation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
So I'm getting a new shed built but to save costs I'm doing the foundation my self and have chosen to use 8 new tantalised sleepers, the shed is 8'x12' and of a heavy duty construction. I want to make sure it's going to stay steady as it will be a wood shop, so will weigh a lot!
I have thought of digging out the ground and laying aggregate under and around the sleepers. My problem is I have looked up aggregate online to try and get costs etc but for the life of me I can't figure out what type I need, I think Travis Perkins had 7 types.
What type do I actually need, do I really need it, would new sleepers suffice or should I pay a little extra and get old ones and is 8 overkill or would 6 do?
I know there's a lot going on there I'm no builder but I want to give it a go and do it right first time!

Thank you
Peter

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back