Rendering old railway sleepers to stop creosote ooze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
This is a work related query - we have 4500 old railway sleepers which are to be lifted from their current location but for waste licensing reasons cant be removed from site; the whole thing is part of a big redevelopment. My job is to look after the wildlife side of things and Im wondering if we could use the sleepers to build a bat hibernaculum (think ice cellar or bunker, really simple structure, partly underground); with the caveat that I dont want to slowly kill any bats through creosote poisoning.

Which got me wondering about rendering the sleepers. They are about 25 years old, dont appear to be oozing. Do you think the creosote would travel through over time? Any additives (plasticisers?) to the render that would prevent this? Would we need to fit scrim or something over them to get the render to stick?

So far all we can think to do with the things is have an almighty bonfire :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back