air compressor goes bang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
i got a brand new compressor,50l 2hp 230v the other day.
after an hour of reading the manual which was badly translated from
chinese to so called english i thought right were ready to go.
i plugged it in,it ran for less than a second and went bang.
at this point it sounded like the motor was trying to spin on its own but not
doing anything and smelled very much of burning.
i did use an extension as it will be took to sites and needs one,but after reading up on a few websites i maybe should not have done this but the
extension works fine on a veriety of other tools with no problems.
i have sent the compressor beack and am due to recieve a new one tommorow,i really dont want it to do the same thing again,any advice please?

thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
A faulty compressor, I guess......even the professional ones won't start up if there is a lot of air in the tank - the motor just can't cope with the resistance.
My own Clarke compressor will start up fine with a tank below about 40 psi - but any higher than that it doesn't want to know. The units own pressure switches should keep it under control.
John :)

Sponsored Links
they should still start ok with pressure in the tank, there's usually a "dump valve" which, when the tank reaches pressure and the pressure switch turns the pump off, the dump valve opens and releases the air between the pump and tank, (that's the hiss you get when the pump switches off), then when the pump starts again it has chance to do half a revolution or so with no pressure to work against, there should also be a one way valve between the tank and dump valve to stop the pressure being lost from the tank via the dump valve, if your compressor won't start when there is 40psi in the tank it might be worth getting it checked, you could also adjust the pressure switch a bit to make it not switch on till the pressure is a bit lower

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back