air con

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it possible to take the air con from an old car and use it on a house (obviously itll need 12V but thats easy to get)?

Sponsored Links
The aircon unit from a car is something like 6000BTU according to a US website I read recently (so, this would be suitable for cooling a massive car without heat-reflective glass, in a Texas summer). Which means a typical British car is probably only 4000BTU.

The smallest domestic AC units I have seen are 9000BTU.

An automotive unit works on 12V (old ones were powered mechanically though, by a belt, presumably the fan belt). As it draws around 1 bhp IIRC, that would be 50-60 amps. So, you would need to build yourself a very sturdy ac-dc supply. Those would be some pretty sturdy diodes in the rectifier circuit! :LOL:

To be honest, the cost is prohibitive. A 9000BTU unit can be had for about £130 if you go to Homebase on one of their many sale days.

Also when you say "old car", remember that old cars drove all such items (power steering, air con) off the engine, they weren't electric!

To be honest, you would have more success in adapting an old fridge I reckon. Preferably a commercial one, designed for walk-in fridges. They are designed for mains power supply, all you need is to install the "hot" side outdoors and the "cold" side indoors, with a fan.

AdamW said:
The aircon unit from a car is something like 6000BTU according to a US website I read recently (so, this would be suitable for cooling a massive car without heat-reflective glass, in a Texas summer). Which means a typical British car is probably only 4000BTU.

The smallest domestic AC units I have seen are 9000BTU.

An automotive unit works on 12V (old ones were powered mechanically though, by a belt, presumably the fan belt). As it draws around 1 bhp IIRC, that would be 50-60 amps. So, you would need to build yourself a very sturdy ac-dc supply. Those would be some pretty sturdy diodes in the rectifier circuit! :LOL:

To be honest, the cost is prohibitive. A 9000BTU unit can be had for about £130 if you go to Homebase on one of their many sale days.

Also when you say "old car", remember that old cars drove all such items (power steering, air con) off the engine, they weren't electric!

To be honest, you would have more success in adapting an old fridge I reckon. Preferably a commercial one, designed for walk-in fridges. They are designed for mains power supply, all you need is to install the "hot" side outdoors and the "cold" side indoors, with a fan.

when i was away i was thinin about it more. my room isnt that big so what i was thinkin was a small freezer, put a water tank it to take all the space, run 2 pipes out, in and out and pump the cold water thru a small car radiator. obviously ill put antifreeze in th water. hopefully a nights and most of the day freezing should keep it blowing cold for a few hours

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:

You're pretty much spot on there. Save yourself an awful hot of hassle and just get this, which no doubt will look neater too!

Link to Homebase Aircon unit

That's the one I bought!

A tip: if your local Homebase has trolleys that require a pound coin, take one with you. I bought one on the spur of the moment, had no coin, but there were only a few left.

Lugging a very bulky 40kg box back to the other end of a large retail park is not fun... :LOL: especially when your wallet works its way out of your pocket on the way back without you knowing... :eek:

Never put your wallet in your back pocket:

(i) it is dead easy to nick.

(ii) it is dead easy to lose, as Adam will testify... :cry:

I lost a wallet once, and ever since then it always goes in a front pocket. Never lost one since..

AdamW said:
A tip: if your local Homebase has trolleys that require a pound coin, take one with you. I bought one on the spur of the moment, had no coin

You want one of these:

ScreenHunter_034.jpg

Could come in handy, the chav-proof trolleys round here all seem to require them now. Or I could try these:

p2898029_l.jpg

Luckily my wallet was handed in by a yummy mummy called Tracey. She must have been swift, in the time it took me to walk back to the store and then drive to the police station she had already handed it in! Luckily she had left her name and number with said police so I gave her a call and dropped a bouqet and a bottle round. It is uplifting to find that there are people who will take the time to help a stranger who has left his wallet lying around the Homebase carpark! :D

AdamW said:
A tip: if your local Homebase has trolleys that require a pound coin, take one with you. I bought one on the spur of the moment, had no coin, but there were only a few left.

I always go to the building section, lots of those flat trolleys there for free ;)

Always a little cache of these in the car.... That unused ashtray, just move the Alloywheel security nut, socket 'key' to one side
1pra.jpg

;) ;)

pipme said:
Always a little cache of these in the car.... That unused ashtray, just move the Alloywheel security nut, socket 'key' to one side
1pra.jpg

;) ;)

i still think the bolt cutters are the better option... less hassle for the next person aswell

How much for bolt croppers?
How much time down the nick explaining the carriage of such about the person?
Slip a nicker in slip it out .. piece of pizzz .. even for a wire pulling speedster ;)
:D :D :D :D :D

I was at a supermarket in France where you needed to put in a coin (can't remember what) to get a trolley. As we were walking towards the trolley park we passed a couple of girls who had just emptied their trolley into the back of their car. Thinking it would save time I asked them if I could give them the money and take their trolley, to which they agreed. A few minutes later my wife pointed out that this was the kind of trolley that you didn't need a coin for. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back