Air-condition smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do any of you get a musky smell when you put the air-condition on ? last about 2 mins or so at the beginning. My last car also has this problem or is it me ? :)
Any idea what is might be ?

Sponsored Links
I think it can be a feature of air conditioning systems after a while. Every time I have my car serviced I'm asked if the a/c smells. Up to the present I've never had a problem but I believe they clean the system out and replace the coolant. (Although why that should contribute to the smell I don't know).

Probably just needs cleaning out. Apparently you can get a lot of c##p in a/c systems.

This is usually due to a build up of bacteria in the evaporator (smells a bit like old socks). It will probably cost £30-40 to have it treated. Turning the aircon on full at least once a month (if you need it or not) helps to prevent the build up.

Basically, when you turn off the car the air-conditioning unit is still cold but isn't blowing any air through. So water will condense in the unit.

On really hot and humid days you will probably find the first 10 seconds of air feel very muggy.

As Igorian mentions, use your aircon regularly. It is pretty easy to use it when cold and rainy because your windscreen will demist more quickly with the ac on (even if you have a heated screen). Reason being that ac dehumidifies the air and dry air absorbs more moisture than damp air.

I am not sure what conditions would be required to end up getting legionnaire's out of your car! I doubt there would be enough moisture present for long enough.

My ac does an interesting thing. I have heat-reflective glass and manual air-conditioning. On a warm spring evening I sometimes get very sudden misting up when I get in the car (possibly caused by residual moisture in the ac). But it makes the windscreen appear green. This could be the glass (has a slight greenish tinge) but first time it happened I thought that it was coolant leaking into the system! Seeing as the car is nearly 3 years old now I doubt that the ac would still be working if that was the case.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I get the smell of a wet dog coming through when i turn if off.

Hi
its all due to smelly Bacteria growing in the heater pipes,try changing your pollen filter and going to a good car spares place and buy either a can of aircon cleaner or the new air con bomb which you let off (not that dramatic) in the back of the car while the air con is on the cycle setting (ie using the air inside the car) this both de odarises and kills of the smelly bugs.Takes about 10 minutes

That aircon bomb sounds like a nifty thing... though I have a feeling my air-recycle setting automatically turns off after a few minutes, presumably to prevent the occupants of the car passing out! :LOL:

AdamW said:
though I have a feeling my air-recycle setting automatically turns off after a few minutes, presumably to prevent the occupants of the car passing out! :LOL:

would that not depend who has eaten what, prior to getting in the car

I would just take it for a service before the Summer kicks in.

Sponsored Links
Back