Air in Grundfos Alpha 2

If he thinks he can service your boiler properly and bleed some radiators in 25 mins you should almost certainly be smelling a rat - most proper boiler services should take longer than that! What boiler do you have?

That's what I though. We have a Worcester condensing boiler (Greenstar?). Its ran very well since it was fitted about 6 years ago.

Sponsored Links
If that small aluminium cylinder with 3 ports in the side and one in the top is what I think it is (an air separator), then it should be mounted above the suction level of the pump, rather than below it.

Just a guess.

Nozzle

If that small aluminium cylinder with 3 ports in the side and one in the top is what I think it is (an air separator), then it should be mounted above the suction level of the pump, rather than below it.

Just a guess.

Nozzle

Yes that's exactly what it is. I'll mention it to the engineer on Saturday.
Like I said, to be fair the system has ran faultlessly for the best part of three years so far.

Sponsored Links
They LOVE it when you tell them what you read on the internet! Be coy about your idea.

Nozzle

The very best you could expect is a quote to repipe. Noise and air ingress are almost always from the pump running faster than it can shift the water pulling air through the vent causing more corrosion and restriction. Then someone comes along and turns the pump speed up making the problem and restriction worse. Then you drop the pump speed to quiet it down and it's so clogged up it won't circulate.

The very best you could expect is a quote to repipe. Noise and air ingress are almost always from the pump running faster than it can shift the water pulling air through the vent causing more corrosion and restriction. Then someone comes along and turns the pump speed up making the problem and restriction worse. Then you drop the pump speed to quiet it down and it's so clogged up it won't circulate.

I hear ya. Hopefully he'll be an approachable engineer with fixing it all in mind.

So, the long and short of it:

Engineer arrived, diagnosed old pump as shot, replaced in 10 mins, no more noise.

Score.

It's quite rare for a grundfoss pump to become faulty after a couple of years IMO. did you see the condition of it? Any sludge? What colour is the water when you bleed the rads? Glad it's sorted!

It's quite rare for a grundfoss pump to become faulty after a couple of years IMO. did you see the condition of it? Any sludge? What colour is the water when you bleed the rads? Glad it's sorted!

I didn't get to see it sadly.
Water from the rads is slightly off clear if that makes sense.

It's quite rare for a grundfoss pump to become faulty after a couple of years IMO.
I agree. I have just had mine replaced due to a faulty speed control. It was 20 years old and working perfectly.

It's all very well replacing the pump, but was the pump the cause of the problem or has the pump failed because of the problem? If the second case, the pump will need replacing in another three years. The engineer appears to belong to the parts-changer brigade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back