Air Lock In Central Heating - New TRV's Just Fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conventional central heating system with a header tank in the loft.
I've just fitted these Siemens TRV's from Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/prods/71015...emens-MTN51GB-White-Chrome-TRV-10-15mm-Angled They are Bi-Directional so don't think it's them causing the problem.
Anyway I drained down the system and fitted the TRV's, I tried to fit them to the flow sides but not 100% sure if i identified the flow side correctly on all.
Once they was fitted, i filled the system back up, have the TRV's on the hottest setting, bled the air out of the rads and switched the heating on.
The boiler only works for 5 mins before cutting out and there is a big swishing/gurgling sound from the boiler, the pump is circulating and the rads are getting warm, the pump will continue without the boiler, i have to wait for the boiler to cool down before i can start it again for 5 mins.
There's 2 pipes in the airing cupboard near the 3 way valve which I have bled but not much air has come out.
I've tried putting a hose on a downstairs drain valve and the other end on the tap to try to push the airlock back up the system.
I've also drained the system down again to try from fresh.
Thanks For Any Ideas ;)

Sponsored Links
you have to bleed with taking the trv heads off.

also theres a bleed order i think.. downstairs first i think.

also. make sure all motorised valves are open, i.e units calling for heat or open them manually.

i guess the system was working before hand?

Kevplumb - It's a Halstead 50 Boiler, the 2nd picture you put up looks like my 3 way valve in the airing cupboad.
XR4X4 - Thanks for that, I'll try that tomoz - System was working fine beforehand
;)

Sponsored Links
I've just -
Removed all TRV Heads
The 3 way valve in the airing cupboard, I forced the lever to Manual (Open was the other option)
Bled all Rads - downstairs 1st (Hardly no air came out)
Bled the pump (Hardly no air came out)
Bled the 2 pipes near the 3 way valve (Hardly no air came out)
I then ran the system which the boiler cut out after 7 mins, but there was no swooshing/gurling sounds.
the pump carries on working.

Should I of drained the system again and started from fresh ?
Thanks ;)

what i have to do is shut all radiators bar one,turn the pump up and then run the system to clear that radiator of air by bleeding. do the radiators one by one in turn like this and should clear the system.

so the boiler cuts out i.e overheats after 7 mins?

are all the rads getting hot? top and bottom, hot water cyl pipes?

what setting is the pump on? 1,2,3?

Looks like it's running OK at the moment.
I put the heating and hot water on together and it stayed on fora hour, so now I have just had the heating on for about a hour and seems to working fine.
I'm thinking that having the heating with hot water on has done something ?
The TRV's seem to be working, I've tryed switching one or 2 off and the rad goes off with them.

Thanks again for all your help !! :p

brill...!!!

if i was you, over the next few days i would keep checking for air, if there is still any air it will get moved about.

Yeah I will do, I got a litre of Sentinel to go in aswell, so goin to see how it runs over the next week and then put that in aswell.

Thanks Again for all the advice ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back