Air separator as a vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully a quickie...

Does/can an air separator (pictured) be used as the vent in a vented system? or is it necessary to run another pipe for this function?

Ta.

jp2x.jpg

Sponsored Links
The top connection IS the vent fitting. Where does your cold feed connect to your system? There is no provision for feed connection on that separator.
Run 22mm up and over the exp tank leaving the correct amount of dry vent.
See your boilers instructions for that. What reason do you have for fitting it?

The top connection IS the vent fitting. Where does your cold feed connect to your system? There is no provision for feed connection on that separator.
Run 22mm up and over the exp tank leaving the correct amount of dry vent.
See your boilers instructions for that. What reason do you have for fitting it?

That is just a pic I found on eBay.

I just wanted clarification that the 'vent' in a vented system can come from the air separator. Are you saying I may not need it? Will a tee piece and pipe suffice?

It will be going on a wood burner/boiler which will be going to a hot water tank, close by. A vented gravity system.
The F&E tank will be 2 floors above in the loft & a heat sink/dump radiator in-between HW tank and F&E tank on middle floor landing.

The HW tank install is primarily a safety feature (previous owners dodgy plumbing), but secondary to that, I'll be opening it up to the return feed of the oil boiler, via a valve operating from a/the tank stat (or maybe the immersion stat, if fitted)

Thanks.

No you can't is the quick easy answer. An aav could easily fail closed, they are not designed as a saftey device.

Sponsored Links
And it is 22mm I am assuming a Wood burner would need to have 28mm gravity circuit attached?? :confused:

Nads, I do wish you would have disclosed ALL the relevant info at the start. It saves a lot of confusion.

Nads, I do wish you would have disclosed ALL the relevant info at the start. It saves a lot of confusion.

Pete, thanks for your replies, I just wanted the original question answering. Normally if you give too much information on here, someone will offer (probably well intentioned) advice which I am not seeking. i.e "you don't want X you want Z" or "You shouldn't be doing [insert technique] do it my way"

Sorry if the question wasn't clear, anyhow I have changed my mind about what I am doing now :) but, at least I have learnt something new

Perhaps it's best to let the experts decide what is or isn't pertinent information?

Trying to be a smart a7se could have left you with a dangerous installation.

Perhaps it's best to let the experts decide what is or isn't pertinent information?
Pertinent information to elaborate on the function of a piece of hardware?

Trying to be a smart a7se could have left you with a dangerous installation.
When was I being a smart a7se? Why do you think I am asking questions? I don't pretend to know everything, that is why I am researching what I need. I have an unusual problem that requires me to ask other people for their knowledge. Isn't that what this place is for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back