Air to air Heat Pump Suggestions for 5x3 conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning
The more I read the more I believe that an air to air heat pump is my best option for heating my 5x3m conservatory. I'm posting here because there are so many options at such a range of prices that I'm struggling ordering. I'd appreciate an actual recommendation if anyone can make a suggestion. Price is a factor as always but more importantly I'd like to heat the room effectively and I'm still not totally convinced what size I need.

Any recommendations would be really appreciated!

Chris

Sponsored Links
You'll generally find you're farting at thunder trying to heat a conservatory, too much heatloss.

A blast of heat from a Split Unit AC/HP unit will do the trick.
They're fairly cheap & can be a DIY job. Invertor Type are the best & £400 should get you a reasonable one.

May be better to think of it backwards.

In other words an air conditioning unit to cool it during the summer but a reversible unit to provide heat as well.

As far as heat required is concerned.

A typical house needs up to about 100w per square meter. In a conservatory with no insulation you could perhaps multiply that by five!

So that would be about 7.5 kw which sounds about right to me if you want to be able to heat it during the really cold days of winter. A total waste of money in my view though.

But if only during the less cold days then 3-4 kW will probably suffice when its over 8 C outside.

The other thing people forget is that when it gets dark early, all the neighbourhood can then see you inside your conservatory all lit up as if on stage! Then they buy expensive blinds designed especially for the purpose.

Sponsored Links
There are tried and trusted ways of providing heat to a comfort level in these extensions.

But,
Some people have cash to flutter away on unproven tech.

Really?? Please enlighten us all. This should be interesting, reinventing the wheel eh??!!!

In other words an air conditioning unit to cool it during the summer but a reversible unit to provide heat as well.

A typical house needs up to about 100w per square meter. In a conservatory with no insulation you could perhaps multiply that by five!

So that would be about 7.5 kw which sounds about right to me if you want to be able to heat it during the really cold days of winter. A total waste of money in my view though.

But if only during the less cold days then 3-4 kW will probably suffice when its over 8 C outside.

The other thing people forget is that when it gets dark early, all the neighbourhood can then see you inside your conservatory all lit up as if on stage! Then they buy expensive blinds designed especially for the purpose.

Tony, you seriously need to get off that Moroccan Black mate, its frying your brain!!

Funny you should mention that as only this morning I have texted to invite a lady to the Moroccan restaurant with a belly dancer!

Hi guys, a bit confused about the comments.

In my naivety I thought that a air heat pump and what you have linked to are the same thing! So you think the one in the link will be suitable for a diy install and reasonably heat the conservatory? A better option than say cheap mat underfloor heating or electric rads?

I appreciate the comments. I also appreciate it is a difficult task but I want whatever unit is needed to heat it for maximum use.

Hi guys, a bit confused about the comments.

In my naivety I thought that a air heat pump and what you have linked to are the same thing! So you think the one in the link will be suitable for a diy install and reasonably heat the conservatory? A better option than say cheap mat underfloor heating or electric rads?

I appreciate the comments. I also appreciate it is a difficult task but I want whatever unit is needed to heat it for maximum use.

There's your problem it'll nearly be impossible to heat a conservatory, as said the heatloss is huge!!
Blasting the area with hot are in the Winter & AC in the Winter is about the most economical way of doing it.

Be careful with the split units, as you will need a bender to bend pipework. If you think you can manipulate the pipe, think again. They normally come as a roll with twin pipework something like 3/8" and 5/16". I've fitted them in the past and sized correctly they will do the trick. High level is preferred. Because you have to purge the pipework and some of the refrigerant will escape to atmosphere these units are frowned upon in the UK.
https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/products/heat-pumps/directory/greensource-air-to-air-heat-pump and get an Aircon guy to fit it.

Not everyone is overlooked tony.

No one can see in my conservatory unless they come and sit in my garden

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back