Airtight electrical back boxes

You will be drinking water that has been in (and in your case several times around) the cylinder which is 'stale'.

Plus, the most important of course, fresh oxygenated water must be used for making tea.

I suspect you are from the colonies; am I mistaken?

Sponsored Links
You will be drinking water that has been in (and in your case several times around) the cylinder which is 'stale'.

Plus, the most important of course, fresh oxygenated water must be used for making tea.

I suspect you are from the colonies; am I mistaken?
It's 60 degree high pressure water, there's no chance of it being stale lol. I'm British, but I don't drink tea, I boil kale.

But you have used power to heat the water prior to filling the kettle plus you will be using power to heat the water replacing that which you have drawn.

It's more efficient to use the kettle for the required amount.

I thought efficiency was paramount.

But you have used power to heat the water prior to filling the kettle plus you will be using power to heat the water replacing that which you have drawn.

It's more efficient to use the kettle for the required amount.

I thought efficiency was paramount.

gas is more efficient for heating water to 60 degrees, a 3kw kettle raises that temperature to 100 degrees very quickly compared to a gas kettle, and the hob maintains that boiling point on a low setting. It's all about efficiency :)

Sponsored Links
gas is more efficient for heating water to 60 degrees, a 3kw kettle raises that temperature to 100 degrees very quickly compared to a gas kettle, and the hob maintains that boiling point on a low setting.

It's all about efficiency :)
I thought it was.

Not only do we use water heated in a large container, now we are keeping it simmering until needed.

Usually, you have to walk in the kitchen/utility to turn on the machine John!
Even in the 'techno-complicated' house we are talking about? :)

Kind Regards, John
now that is the ultimate goal. To invent a machine that loads, washes, dries, irons and folds everything automatically. I think this was achieved in Wallace and Grommit.

but I don't drink tea, I boil kale.

FGS tew1 are you suicidal? Just Google Kale and toxicity and take heed.

Sorry, but the thing which has over the years has killed adoption of sound, environmentally based improvements for people, animals and the world has been the enthusiastic "environmentalist" who disregards the science and sets off with a few poorly understood anecdotes. Usually these are good people who avoid "hard sciences". Pity, but here I bow out of this thread.

I'm sure a lot of people can leave taps running for at least a minute waiting for hot water to come through.
Indeed, a lot of water is wasted like that - at home, there is enough cold water at the kitchen sink to fill mum's small plant watering can. But at G/Fs house, you also have to get the combi to heat up as well - so learning to turn the hot tap on and off to fire it up, give it time to warm up, and then let the hot tap run to flush the (unlagged) pipes before jumping in the shower. At home, the shower is about 2' of pipe from the hot water cylinder so is almost instant.

As an experiment, when I installed a thermal store in the flat, I measured the standing losses. You know how it is, over in the plumbing section if you mention thermal store they all go <suck> "pile of sh1te, wasteful of energy, blah, blah, ...". So my wasteful thermal store lost 80W - I tested by leaving it maintained by just the immersion heater for a week with nothing else turned of (flat was empty at the time). t the same time, my house next door was also empty, so I left everything turned off except the WB combi with it's "keep hot for instant hot water" function at it's default of on. it used the equivalent amount of gas to 160W of standing losses. Given that the thermal store also gives a far superior hot water supply, and much better heating, I know which I prefer - without the keep warm function, that "modern" boiler can take up to a whole minute before hot water comes out of it !
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with airtight electrical boxes, but hey!
It's called thread drift.

If you have a cylinder. Could have a heat bank or thermal store in which case there is very little stored hot water in the DHW system.

A more significant reason is that if you have an open vent cylinder, the hot water you draw has been stored in the header tank for an indeterminate time (possibly at a "bug breeding" temperature in summer). The manufacturer may have supplied a close fitting lid, but the plumber almost certainly butchered that during installation if he could be arsed fitting it at all*.
At school, a physics teacher told us how at one factory he'd worked in, the hot taps were hot enough to make hot drinks - so they did. Then they noticed that their drinks "tasted funny". On investigation, a decomposing rat was pulled from the header tank - and they stopped making drinks from the hot tap :rolleyes:

* Speaking from observation. Generally observe either no lid at all, a badly fitting butchered one, or at best an offcut of old chipboard thrown on top (which is now saturated and starting to fall apart).

I agree Simon.
When I moved into my current 1980-ish built house I found, under the decomposing offcut of kitchen worktop that was on top of the header tank, a dead starling floating in the water! When I drained the tank, I found the skeleton of one of its ancestors!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back