Alarm 9800

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We inherited an alarm system (9800 is only identifier) when we moved here 12 years ago, and till recently it's functioned perfectly although we have never had it serviced. Now, we are getting bF fault code and internal buzzer every now and then on the contol panel located in our hallway which can be cleared by inputting the user code twice, so it seems that a new back up battery is required I guess. I suspect that the battery is located in a plastic box in our roof space next to a fused spur.

Can anyone give me a precises step-by-step guide to doing this? Can I remove the battery to find out what I need to buy, or should I buy one in advance, if so which one should I get? Any advice much appreciated

Sponsored Links
If it is a 9800 then you will require a 12 volt 7.0 ah battery.
Get a new battery
Remove control panel lid
Silence with user code
Disconnect old battery
Re connect new battery red lead to positive and black lead to negative
Replace control panel lid
Reset system with user code
Caution 240v mains inside control panel.
Just replacing battery should be ok

If it is a 9800 then you will require a 12 volt 7.0 ah battery.
Get a new battery
Remove control panel lid
Silence with user code
Disconnect old battery
Re connect new battery red lead to positive and black lead to negative
Replace control panel lid
Reset system with user code
Caution 240v mains inside control panel.
Just replacing battery should be ok

Thanks for your prompt response, is there anything I can to to silence the buzzer until tomorrow?

Sponsored Links
Yes, made it to Screwfix, got a battery and just fitted it. It seems to have done the trick, no sounding just lT code flashing. Reset it and it's back to normal. Old battery has September '99 written in the side!! Thanks a million Handymanjo

Lt is lid tamper on the control panel
So when you reset that will go if you fitted lid correctly
Have you put a date on the new battery you fitted?

No, but I wrote it on the log sheet in the control sheet. Didn't give us any trouble last night

Batteries these days do not last as long as then 10-15years ago
Replace every 5 years
Glad you go a good nights sleep
9800 was a very good control panel in its day
Only problem could happen is with keypad
Suggest change code if you have change code for many years as buttons can play up
Well done !

Ok, I'll make a note of that... it was a case of out of site , out of mind. Now off to change the code. Thanks again for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back