ALARM CABLE CUT THROUGH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all. I can`t find anything similar to this problem on here so here goes. Our alarm system was fitted 4-5 years ago. Whilst DIY`ing new floor boards the upstairs cable that links to one PIR and the sounder outside has been cut. Using a connector block I`ve carefully stripped and connected all six cables back together however the sounder box has no light or power to it and the pir does not work. All three pirs downstairs still work but, for obvious reasons the alarm will now not set. I`ve double checked the connections at the cut and everything seems fine. I`ve put a volt metre on each of the six cables to see if I get ready with no response. Does this mean a fuse has gone in the main box? Any advice most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The installer has used the same 12volts that power the bell to power the pir this supply will be on a different output to the other pirs (AUX). If you open up the control box and with your meter in 20 volts dc place the meter leads across each end of every fuse, the one that reads 13.5 ish volts is the one blown(all others should not read antyhing). Replace this fuse , close the lid reset your alarm with your code etc and you should be back in working order.
Hope this is of help.

Grahame

Sponsored Links

with your meter in 20 volts dc place the meter leads across each end of every fuse

Good fuses will show zero volts across them; the blown one will show the supply voltage (assuming there is a load connected).
Don't you mean the one that shows 13.5 (ish) at one end and nothing at the other is the one that is blown?

If it is that is not what you have said, remember this is someone who does not know anything about alarms & fuses.

Worked that bit out from the question.

Don't you mean the one that shows 13.5 (ish) at one end and nothing at the other is the one that is blown?

If you are measuring from each end of the fuse to the common ground point, yes.

But caretech was suggesting measuring the voltage across each fuse, i.e. put one meter probe on one end of the fuse and the other probe on the other end of the fuse.

Morning all,

Can I just say a big thanks to caretech on this one. Worked like a charm. As stated, the power supply had been split between the sounder/strobe and the pir so the pir was not on the aux as suggested. Fuse for sounder/strobe had blown. This was replaced, alarm was reset and Bob`s your Uncle.

ps: Working as a programmer, I thought our lot were pedantic. Keep up the good work. Great first impression. Cheers[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back