Alarm in new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im about to embark on buying a new build house, prior to carpets going in, Im considering throwing some cables around and one of the jobs is going to be an alarm system.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an upgradable wired alarm system I could self install?

Thanks in advance

M.A.

Sponsored Links
There are many threads on the subject. If you go for one of the main brands, then you'll not be disappointed. Honeywell Galaxy, Texecom Premier, Etc.

My preference is the Honeywell Galaxy series for domestic. You can pick up a new G2-44 panel with keypad for around £100 (that's 44 zones possible - 12 on-board as default). If you don't need too many zones you can get the G2-12 (12 on-board wired zones) for about £75 with a prox keypad. You'll be looking at between £250 to £300 for the full system, but you'll have something that's expandable and solid with extensive diagnostics and logs.

Lots of free support available on here for these systems.

Some key points about the Galaxy:

• Peripherals are compatible across the Galaxy range. If you ever want to upgrade, all you need to do is change the panel.

The G2 range provides 12,20 and 44 zone variants.

Hybrid system, so wireless module can be added to support two way wireless detectors and remote controls. ADT use the same kit, so there's always lots of detectors available. You can mix and match hard wired and wireless zones.

An IP module can be added enabling phone apps and self monitoring via IP

Main thing is to get the layout sorted and ensure you can get all wires concealed. I normally wire in 6 core alarm cable, but some like to do it in 8 core.

Is it a new build with chipboard floors ? You don't want to be taking them up ! Or is it prewired ?

Actually I think you will find ADT have just signed a deal with Visonic....

That's really bad news for us Visonic fans as no doubt ADT will trash the brand name with their shabby installs....

Sponsored Links
Actually I think you will find ADT have just signed a deal with Visonic....

That's really bad news for us Visonic fans as no doubt ADT will trash the brand name with their shabby installs....

What's your beef with ADT? Just curious as I moved into a house with an ADT alarm and the workmanship was, erm, below the standards which I myself would aspire to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back