Wired or Wireless Burglar alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Im buying an alarm & not sure what to go for. Are the wireless just as good as the wired nowadays? If so any makes to recommend?

Sponsored Links
Wired if you can is always best.

Then there are a few makes for wireless.
What are you looking for??
A large property.............many zones?
Pets, how many users, for insurance?
Police calling or just your mobile?

Wireless is fine for connecting items that have to be able to move around and at the same time remain in contact with other things. It if doesn't move than wired is far better.

"Wireless" covers a multitude of methods of communication.

Simple one way systems where a sensor and panic button shouts "help intruders" and hopes the control panel hears it. Some can also shout " my batteries are low" and hope the control hears it.

Better two way systems where the controller talks to each sensor, panic button, bell and siren and checks they are operational. This is a routine procedure and a defective or missing siren or sensor does not go un-noticed.

Very good systems where interfering radio signals ( from the alarm system next door ) are properly dealt with. Some simple systems can only indicate interfering radio signals by sounding the siren as if an intruder has been found. This can deplete the battery in the siren to the point where the siren can no longer sound. On a simply system this flat battery in the siren can only be detected by a visual inspection of the siren when it is known that it should be giving an alarm indication. It then requires access to the siren to replace the batteries.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I didnt realise here was an alarm section. Just a dialler to call my mobile, no pets as yet. Maybe a cat later. Myself and one other. I was told by a salesman that wireless don't have the flashing led boxes. But then I read that some boxes have solar panels though?

Wireless = utterly useless trash, unless you spend very substantial amounts of money.
Solar powered = the same.

Any tips on a good wired system? Its only a small 3 bed. I was thinking between £350-£700 max. Any good Essex installers?

Wireless = utterly useless trash, unless you spend very substantial amounts of money.
Solar powered = the same.

The like you can buy in B&Q are crap, but the proper stuff is good. Hybrid stuff by Honeywell is excellent we have lots out there on G2 Galaxy and GD systems, never give any grief. Texecom Ricochet is also good by all accounts, but don't have first hand experience of them (yet)

* By hybrid, this means a mixture of wired/wireless. Keypads and bells have to be hardwired still, and maybe the receiver, but everything else can be wire free.

And its not a substantial amount either.
Costs are now very similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back