Alarm initialising 001

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, a few years ago the GF decided to drop the company that maintained and monitored our home alarm and used one of those "we find you really good tradesmen" type sites. Oh and she did this when she had kicked me out...

3 months later I was asked to come home.

Previously the alarm had a MODEM connected to the landline, for whatever reason the new engineer decided to fit a 3G MODEM. Every time that I happen to be working in the loft, it just says "initialising... 001". That is all it has said for the last 3+ years. Does that mean that it isn't actually connected to the cell service.

I don't have a lot of confidence in the guy that did the work. By all accounts he claimed that the front door reed was faulty and fitted a wireless PIR in the hall facing the front door. IMO, he should have fitted a wireless reed/contact, but when I tell my grumpy GF that the night time setting means that the front door can be opened and closed she gets grumpy with me.. I can walk in through the front door, and so long as I go straight upstairs, I do not need to unset the alarm... anywho, I digress. Should the cell MODEM always say "initialising... 001"?

From memory it is Texecom alarm.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Apologies for the delay.

It seems to be a Pyronix V2 GSM Speech Dialler

pyronix.jpg

I watched it for a while last night, it says "initiating 001", followed by "initiating 002", then "initiating 003", and then repeats the process. AFAIK, it has done that since it was installed 2(?) years ago. Looking at the product link above, it looks like it should show things like the time and signal strength. It also suggests that it should have been supplied with an external aerial.. The attic has foil backed bubble wrap insulation, I don't think it blocks phone signals though.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Does it have a SIM card installed ? Is it live ? Is It inserted the correct way ? Is it a 2G compatible sim ( as most of these type of units use these ) 3 network sims tend not to work ...

I’ve read someone else had this problem and just powered it down and powered back up

Does it have a SIM card installed ? Is it live ? Is It inserted the correct way ? Is it a 2G compatible sim ( as most of these type of units use these ) 3 network sims tend not to work ...

I don't know the answers. Given that the engineer was paid to install the GSM unit, I would assume that his fee would have included the cost of the SIM card. It would be unfair of me to suggest that the MODEM never worked properly. I cannot remember when I first went up to the loft after he fitted it.

If I check the SIM card, will there be an anti-tamper device in play. We don't have the engineer code. He didn't even leave us with entry/exit codes, just 3 fobs. Ages ago I did ask the GF to ask him for the entry/exit codes, he did text her back- it is a 6 digit code...

I’ve read someone else had this problem and just powered it down and powered back up

I am not convinced that will help. A while back I was in the loft doing some re-wiring and turned of the ring. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will try it again.

As I mentioned previously, I don't have a lot of confidence in the guy. He was supposed to return to re-activate the sensors in our garage (which has its own entry keypad) but never did. The key pad is still just dangling there, I suspect that he didn't know how to deal with two different key pads that were initially set up to act "independently" of each other. By that I mean the garage was originally programmed so that you could enter the garage without un-setting the whole house, or by using a different code you could unset both areas (garage and house).

I have no idea if he was paid in full or not. When I ask I get "that" look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back