alarm Qs - SMS etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey folks
I'm looking to fit a DIY system at home, there's been a few issues round here lately and i figure an alarm might deter folk from visiting here for nasty purposes.
I think I've narrowed it down to a texecom premier elite 24, they seem pretty well supported and relatively easy to configure, however i have a couple fo questions if anyone could help i'd be very grateful

We have a dog walker who pops in a couple of times a day through the week, so i know we'd need to give him an alarm code, and that's fine as we can give him his own code as far as i can tell, however is it possible to have the alarm drop me a text message when he's disarmed and armed the alarm each day?

as far as sounders go, should i fit a sounder both front and back, or a sounder and a dummy box? is there a benefit either way other than the price and running of cable?

can i require a prox tag AND code for users, as although i like the sound of the tags, it seems like if my other half's bag got stolen, they'd be able to just walk in, disarm the alarm and take their sweet time emptying the place. if i can't require both, i'll just stick with codes. seems safer

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes can do open and close texts and yes separate code or fob ...two bells ok if you want

Just remember that if you've not got the GSM module for SMS, then TAP dial-up texting will cost you around 17p per message from Vodafone.

The dial-up mechanism can become quite expensive if you're not limiting to burglary type events, so it may end up making sense to buy the GSM module.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the heads up, i think i'm sold on the GSM module now. I hadn't bought any comms modules yet, i figured i'd get it working on the bench, configured how i wanted, then work out what i wanted in the way of notifications.
If the GSM module plugs into Com1 or COM2, and the IP module plugs into COM1 or COM2, can these both be fitted AND the digimodem into the modem port, or is the modem port one of the COM ports?

the manual seems pretty ambiguous on this point. I don't think i'd need phone line notification, SMS notification and the ability to talk to it over the network all at once, but if it's an option it could be nice.

can i require a prox tag AND code for users, as although i like the sound of the tags, it seems like if my other half's bag got stolen, they'd be able to just walk in, disarm the alarm and take their sweet time emptying the place. if i can't require both, i'll just stick with codes. seems safer

requiring a tag AND a code just defeats the point of easyness of a tag, if you get a tag stolen then just change the code for that user and program up a new tag.

if you get a tag stolen then just change the code for that user and program up a new tag.
That works provided you [a] become aware of the theft and can get back to the house and disable the stolen tag before the thief can get to the house and use the tag.

if you get a tag stolen then just change the code for that user and program up a new tag.
That works provided you [a] become aware of the theft and can get back to the house and disable the stolen tag before the thief can get to the house and use the tag.

To add to that the thief would also need to know the address the keys where stolen for, seems an unlikely situation and an unnecessary issue?

To add to that the thief would also need to know the address the keys where stolen for, seems an unlikely situation and an unnecessary issue?
[1] target theft, the thief selects a known victim to steal from

[2] along with the tag the thief gets a document with the victim's address on it

[1] target theft, the thief selects a known victim to steal from

[2] along with the tag the thief gets a document with the victim's address on it

obviously you can spin that to any situation but would a target thief not be better ringing the bell then forcing his way in rather than stealing a bag then risking being caught on the job as soon as the victim raises the alarm?

We have Texecom fobs at the shop I work for with a system that was proffesionally fitted from NSI member, are you saying this is not safe then?

okay, my bits have arrived so i'll get them fitted this weekend i think, i havent bought any comms kit YET.

is it possible to connect a com2400 or 300 to the digimodem port, a com-gsm to the com1 port and a com-ip to the com2 port?

ideally i would like to be able to have the alarm message me, and it appears that the gsm module is the cheaper way to go, but i think having phone line connected is also pretty good plan, and i'm an utter geek, so the networking aspect appeals greatly.

the only other question i have is, if i put a magnetic contact on both doors and all the downstairs windows, is that likely to be adequate, or should i look to add something internally? I've got a greyhound and a lurcher, both of whom jump onto the couch etc, so i figured a PIR would get a lot of false alarms.

Don't bother with a com 300 if your fitting a com gsm and an ipcom don't bother with the 2400 either ! Your com 2400 is for upload/download and texts the gsm com does texts and you can upload via the ipcom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back