Alcove bookshelf with metal brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am planning to create alcove bookshelves that are 300mm deep and 1100mm long. Given that I am a newbie to woodworking, I am thinking to achieve that with screwing angle metals to the solid wall on both ends and then screwing a wooden board in to secure it.

Problem is that after much research I am still confused on which timber to get as the wooden board for the bookshelves, Ideally I would not like to paint the boards and will finish them so they go with the interior scheme that I have planed for the room.

I would very much appreciate if somebody can help in this matter!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You can use softwood battens rather than angle steel if you prefer, but both will work.
Try googling 'shelf boards' and you may find what you need but the popular sheds seem to run out at around 900mm.
Pine flooring is a possibility, better still how about engineered oak for flooring? Tongue and grooved for a tight fit, maybe 22mm thick and you can build up the width to whatever you like.
Hardwood faced ply would also do but you'd need to fix a hardwood lipping to the exposed edge to look right.
Wood for thought!
John :)

White conti board comes in 2.4m x 300mm lengths and can quickly be installed with spur type shelving .Also available in wood look finish .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back