Alpha 280P burner not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't heard or read many positive comments about Alpha boilers but unfortunately I've recently bought an old 4 bedroom (high ceilings!) property that has one and so I'm stuck with it - for now. I have a problem with it and before I decide to look for a more reliable boiler I hope someone can point me in the right direction to sort out this one. I will need a reliable boiler for CH to maintain room temperature for a disabled child 24/7.

It is an Alpha 280P model (I think) and has been serviced by BG in the past. Quite often the burner doesn't light when the HW tap is opened and displays the flue/fan warning light - though it is temperamental. Have had the flue cleaned but still get the same problem. The CH tends to work if left on it's own and usually through a timer with no HW tap operated. The problem seems to arise when HW is required though on many occasions they both get along OK. When the burner doesn't light the fan does operate. I have tried switching off from the electric mains for a prolonged time (i.e. 30 minutes) and sometimes this helps but not always.

The Alpha manual seems to suggest the cause is a faulty fan or blocked flue but both seem to be OK. Could it be a faulty diverter valve?

Any help on the Alpha would be appreciated and advice on new efficent and reliable boiler welcome.

Sponsored Links
It needs a service .
They're not bad, for a boiler a few years old, it wouldn't be particularly unreliable. Buy a couple of £30 oil-filled rads as backup and stick them in the loft!

Funny you say that I was looking at those rads only this afternoon! I did get it serviced not long ago but I'll try again with someone different.

Thanks for your help.

One of the best combis ever made.

Flue light fault is nearly always due a heavily clogged up fan. Just needs a good clean. The small Alpha spire clips are required as the fan outlet collar clips disintegrate once disturbed.

Sponsored Links
The venturi in the fan needs taking out an cleaned they get little nodules building up on them which don`t look much but is enough to stop air pressure switch working. You can blow through them and it sounds perfectly clear but still need stripped an cleaned

I'll give the fan a clean myself and save a few bob, thanks. I have also picked up the same model as spare from a relatives house who changed the Alpha with a Valiant recently - I remember him saying he had problems with the Alpha's pilot light and also problems firing up the burner - similar story with a purchase of a new property. So I have some spares readily available at no extra cost!

The Alphas are perfectly reliable boilers but like any appliance do need a heavy service every 4-5 years which includes removing and cleaning the fan and venturi.

Merely sticking an analyser in the flue is not a service.

Nor is just opening the combustion chamber and looking inside, thats just an inspection, useful but not a service!

I am really intrigued about this fellow having "had the flue cleaned". Although this kind of disassembly should normally only be done by a competent CORGI, I think he really means that he did it himself!

Tony

It was done by someone else as a favour but he wasn't corgi registered and vacuumed stuff out from burner and flue area. I have seen other posts where fans have been stripped and cleaned and assumed it was a straight forward task which is why I was willing to give it a try.

If the recommendation is to get a CORGI to do this as part of a thorough service then I will in case it causes further problems.

Nothing wrong with alpha generally but spares seem more expensive than most.

Check the aps sensor pipes are clear whilst cleaning the venturi. I've had 2 that had a white crystalline substance build up and block them. Couldn't clean so had to replace.

I think I've found the problem. What would happen if the plastic propeller at the top of the fan unit had no blades? I took out the spare, cleaned it replaced the fan. Also cleaned out the aps pipes and so far so good. What happened to the blades???

I don't get the fan/flue light anymore and will see if this has done the trick. Thanks to everyone for their help.

fan impellor blades are prone to diseintegrate with heat. Replace with new one. Fan light will come on each time for couple of seconds until aps is registered working.

Correction: It is an Alpha 240E and not a 280P.

The joy didn't last long. This time stripped and cleaned the venturi and aps pipes but again no joy. As a last resort replaced the aps taken from spare and this time it fired up first time. No more fan light, well not yet...

Is it worth investing in a new aps as it was taken from the spare?

gas4you said:
Nothing wrong with alpha generally but spares seem more expensive than most.

Check the aps sensor pipes are clear whilst cleaning the venturi. I've had 2 that had a white crystalline substance build up and block them. Couldn't clean so had to replace.

Maybe just for this model spares are expensive. This is because Alpha no longer have any relationship with the manufacturers since Baxi bought them. So always best to buy the Baxi part where it is the same. In short I assume Baxi who control all spares for this model in that they own the company, aren't akin to helping out Alpha over this one.

Alpha as a company now market a different manufacturer's boiler, Immergas, which is a massive European player. I don't expect the parts are expensiove for the Immergas Alpha boilers.

The Ocean range is a great boiler as is the Baxipotterton production run. I frequently have to do aftercare services on the Ocean range and never cease to be amaised what great old boilers they are, I put them above or certainly up with any other boiler of the same era.. If I had one at home I would keep it going indefinately.

OP well done for having a spare boiler. Good on yer.

I take then that Alpha do not manufacturer anything, just stick their badge on it?

You learn something new every day :)

Yes it's a marketing company, but they are good down to earth industry people, and they did shop for a good european manufacturer when Baxi bought their noses. A deal was done because though Baxi bought the manufacturer of their 80e 105e at a time they seriously needed a reliable boiler, Alpha had sole marketing rights in the UK.

I rather fancy taking a van to Poland and filling it with boilers myself, and seting up my own boiler marketing company.

Do you know you can get a car converted to lpg in Poland for £400 and they use the same Italian made Sequential system as is state of the art which is being charged out in the UK at £1800 fitted. I was considering paying the expenses of Polish people over here to take one over for me and have it done.

A decade or so ago I was involved in a big way in importing Duracel batteries and Kodak film in the grey market where at that time you sourced from Brasil. Globanl companies dump their products in certain countries where it won't spoil their lucrative markets. Sesible people go and buy in those countries.

We turned over 3 million a year back in the late '80's. I changed direction after a near death experience, got trained as a nurse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back