Alpha Boiler problems

Sponsored Links
Hi folks. I'm sorry for this late return but I'm new to this kind of web and thought all help had ended with Kev 25v6's ominous posting referring to fiddling with gas connections. Only saw the last postings today as have been away for 2 days.

Thanks for the link Paul but I cant find a company name or forward link for the site so I will have to stick with Ezypart unless ChrisR's "(not an ezypart "pattern" spare)" means they are no good.

And 2 more questions if anyone's still got the patience with me:

1. On Eazypart the complete assembly comes in 2 sections, a)Flow Valve and b) Diverter valve assembly. Is it ok to change just the flow valve part (diaphragm) and see if that fixes probs before changing the rest or is it best to fit all new at same time?

2. If it still doesn't work and I need to change the Exchanger (see corgiman's comment on the pressure prob), can a good DIY fit the DHW heat exchanger too? (it looks inaccesible right at the back!)

Thanks again for any help

Flow valve as you call it (front part with diaphragm in) will not cure the fault you have. You need the dv assembly and use your original front part, but you might as well put a new diaphragm in whilst you have it apart.

Yes, and to answer the heat exchanger question, first deal with the diverter valve then see where you are. It needs doing anyway, and might (probably) fix it..

Sponsored Links
Thanks again everyone - the comments have been really helpful.

Just ordered the full diverter part and a service kit for the diafragm part. I'm hoping to fit it all this weekend so I can quickly see if I've got any more probs.

Take care all

Wendi

Hi everyone, I'm back

Just fitted everything to plan EXCEPT for the following probs, so anyone still got any ideas for me!:

1. The boiler fires up beutifully, hot water comes out galore but minutes later there is a very loud whooshing, croaking, or clanking sound (not sure how to describe but is is as if pressure is building up or air or something) and the pilot goes out. Start again and the same again, now 3 times. Something obviously not right.

2. Tiny bit of a leak (seems to be reducing on its own which may be normal) from both push-fit connections connecting diverter valve to the heat exchanger.

I'm learning!

regards Wendi

wendiff said:
Hi everyone, I'm back

Just fitted everything to plan EXCEPT for the following probs, so anyone still got any ideas for me!:

1. The boiler fires up beutifully, hot water comes out galore but minutes later there is a very loud whooshing, croaking, or clanking sound (not sure how to describe but is is as if pressure is building up or air or something) and the pilot goes out. Start again and the same again, now 3 times. Something obviously not right.

2. Tiny bit of a leak (seems to be reducing on its own which may be normal) from both push-fit connections connecting diverter valve to the heat exchanger.

I'm learning!

regards Wendi

the clanking sounds is you pump

it either needs venting, freeing or replacing

Thanks corgiman,

If your still there what is venting, what is freeing, and don't tell me about the replacing yet as I aint through with the present repair.

The pump was definately ok before I changing the diverter. A bit worried as I just might have changed the selection on the pump and not realised!

Wendi

at the front of the pump will be a big screw, undoing it a bit will vent it

taking it off will show another screw which you pop a screwdriver into to spin it to free

:)

Have you filled and pressurised the system correctly and opened the ch flow and return isolting valves?

Have you replaced the auto air vent - they often block or leak. Run the heating with the gas turned off. Cycle the hot water on/off untill the pump runs quietly and all air is removed. Then turn gas back on.

All these sounds and the pilot outage are typical of overheating!

Could the connection to the temperature sensor have been left or pulled off?

Tony

OK folks,

THANKS CORGIMAN
tried the venting and freeing but no result.

TO GAS4YOU
I think I filled and pressurised it OK as the pressure valve reads green when it was above green before the diverter change. By the "ch flow" do you mean the switch for heating and hot water otherwise I didn't turn anything else for ch off?

TO GASGURU

1) Didn't replace auto air vent as don't know what that is yet but I fear I may be just about to find out?!

2) Cycled the hot water on and off but pump ran as silent as a mouse (I know their silent cause I have two) Tried with the gas and a lotta noise and pilot out again.

Any other ideas or am I irrevocably on the way to a pump change?

Am going to eat something now but will see if I have to order a pump when I return. Ok

Thanks all, Wendi

TO AGILE &/OR TONY:

Just as I posted a reply to the rest I saw your posting about the temperature whatever. Will check and see if its that also.

Thanks
Wendi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back