Alpha CDR wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we are on the last bit of installation…the wiring…its straight forward (or so I thought) Y-Plan. The boiler needs pump overrun.
My installer said just run a five core down to the boiler and I'll check it all later.
The 5-cores being L-N-E -swL and L for the pump overrun.

I got the wiring diag. direct from Alpha. It shows the normal L-N-E and switched live from the Honeywell 10-way block going to the boiler terminal block. It then shows a L-N-E from the boiler terminal block running directly to the pump.

So I phone Alpha Tech.Dept and ask, do I really need to supply the pump direct from the boiler terminal block. Why can’t I take the Live from the Boiler Terminal Block up to the spare way on the Honeywell block. Then pick up a N and E from the 10-way block and take all three wires to the pump. The guy said no. We want a direct supply to the pump. You will have to run another 3-core. I can do it but would rather not as I have to take up some flooring again.

I can see his argument that it is safer to run the cable direct..less chance of a loose wire interfering with the overrun I guess. I see on the boiler wiring diag. that there is a block on the boiler board called x16, it feeds the L&N on the boiler terminal block which supply the pump.

I phone my installer and he said a five core is all I ever run, as long as the pump overrun works then all is OK

Comments please from you professionals..do you just run a 5-core? I just don’t want any problem with the warranty.

Sponsored Links
A five core to the boiler can accommodate live/neutral/earth and two other wires one a call for heat and the other an output to the pump.

That will be OK providing it goes to a wiring centre which then feeds the pump.

I dont exactly understand your involvement and why you are questioning this if someone else in installing the boiler?

Tony Glazier

Thanks Tony..thats what I thought...I just wanted to see what others thought.

I must admit that I expected you questioning my involvement. Well I'm doing everything except those bits I am not allowed to do. Flue and Gas I believe. He will check all my other work before he commissions The wiring the bonding etc etc. If there are any leaks then it is down to me to correct.

Thank you for all you help/ advice over the last couple of weeks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back