Altering incoming electric supply - any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I need to move the electric supply that's coming into my house in Tooting to enable the basement to be deepened as the incoming head is currently located within the basement where the new front bay window will be created.

The plan is to relocate the supply down the side of the house and put the meter outside.

I've had UK power networks come out to quote and they are saying that they'll need to re-route the cable outside the boundary of my property which means digging up the pavement which in turn is adding in a lot of cost.

Has anyone got any ideas how to minimise the cost of the work? (e.g. I thought they would be able to divert the cable in the front garden without having to touch the pavement / could I get someone else to do it?)

I've attached a drawing trying to show what's going on...

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Attachments

• Moving incoming electric supply.JPG
    Moving incoming electric supply.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 261
Sponsored Links
Did you ask them if they would do it your way?

I suspect the reason for their method is they're wanting to connect onto a larger cable in the street and make your old cable redundant entirely. It could be that whilst your current cable was adequate when it was put in, UKPN now feel it would be unsuitable to reuse even a short length of it.

You can use a 3rd party company for some items of work, but they must be approved, and tbh their prices aren't all that different. Just be thankful they don't need to dig up the road!

Iggifer - thanks for your thoughts, will see what they say...

Sponsored Links
I suppose it's not possible the shift the bay window to the left a couple of feet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back