Alternating blocks used to intersect external wall. Replace them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

I have started to remove an internal, non-load bearing wall, on the first floor (only the loft above it). Where the internal wall meets the external wall there are staggered blocks that were part of the internal wall. Makes sense; so you couldn't just push the internal wall down, I presume. However, now that the internal wall is, pretty much, gone, is it worth getting a builder to replace the blocks with proper brickwork before the bathroom starts to be boarded up by the fitters.

These blocks just crumble away without much effort. So, I can't see how they are contributing to the column-load between the windows. It doesn't even look like they were fully-cemented in. Speaking of which... will the concrete lintel run across both windows or will it be two separate ones?

The house is an Ex-council house around the 50's, I think.

wall01.PNG wall02.PNG

Thanks,

Neil

Sponsored Links
My money would be on two separate lintels though it would not be a huge disruption to hack off that plaster and have a look.

Are you thinking of having one big window?

The masonry can be left alone as long as it is not too badly affected.

My money would be on two separate lintels though it would not be a huge disruption to hack off that plaster and have a look.

Are you thinking of having one big window?

The masonry can be left alone as long as it is not too badly affected.

Thank you.

Yeah, the thought of one big window is an option. However, I was thinking of the single lintel in conjunction with the tinder blocks, and how it bears the load across both windows? All of the bricks are still solid, but the two blocks have a small wobble in them. The cement is a bit slap-hazard between the block and the bricks and after removing a large portion of that toilet/bathroom wall I wondered if it had become weaker and it needed to be bricked up properly. Considering how thick the wall is and that the blocks are only about two-thirds the width of a brick, anyway, I didn't think it would make much difference. As they're accessible, at the moment, I thought it would be an opportunity to sort them out.

Scrape out some mortar and put some new mortar in, gob it up and don't worry. There is external brickwork and a wall plate to hold or all together.

Sponsored Links
Scrape out some mortar and put some new mortar in, gob it up and don't worry. There is external brickwork and a wall plate to hold or all together.

Thank you. As simple as that - Just go and grab a bag of mortar... take out all the loose bits... fill in the gaps left behind? It has been playing on my mind. Thanks again.

Thank you. As simple as that - Just go and grab a bag of mortar... take out all the loose bits... fill in the gaps left behind? It has been playing on my mind. Thanks again.
Dampen all the masonry prior, else it will dry out too quickly and turn to dust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back