Alternative gas valve for an obsolete boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to put my deceased parents' house on the market and the boiler has just packed in.

Ideal Standard Concord RS Series 2. The gas valve has failed.
I see that there are various threads already here on these. As others have said, it's been a work horse of a boiler, and my Dad took great care of it.

Is there an alternative, available gas valve I could fit (or find someone registered to fit)?
I have not been able to find the spare part from obsolete parts suppliers.
Clearly, if I can fix this part, I can save myself thousands on a new boiler with associated piping.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sponsored Links
Firstly you should find a gas registered engineer to assist you. We are not allowed here to give advice on DIY gas work.

I would also question how you know the gas valve has failed. You could tell us but we might be limited in how we could repay.

But your thousands of pounds to replace the boiler is way off the mark. Most replacement boilers that I fit to replace that kind of boiler are well under £2000.

Tony

Why not drop a couple of thousands of the purchase price and sell the house with the boiler fully de-commisioned and allow the buyers to chose a boiler to suit their requirements. Prospective buyers may be put off when they learn the boiler although working is obsolete and may not be repairable in the future.

I can save myself thousands on a new boiler with associated piping.
That suggests you may be considering a change of type of boiler, possibly a combi boiler to replace a heat only boiler, the buyers may prefer a heat only boiler with a cylinder in an airing cupboard.

Sponsored Links
Why not drop a couple of thousands of the purchase price and sell the house with the boiler fully de-commisioned and allow the buyers to chose a boiler to suit their requirements. Prospective buyers may be put off when they learn the boiler although working is obsolete and may not be repairable in the future.

That suggests you may be considering a change of type of boiler, possibly a combi boiler to replace a heat only boiler, the buyers may prefer a heat only boiler with a cylinder in an airing cupboard.

This made me laugh like a drain!!!

Oh yeah, I can just see an Estate Agent agreeing with this drivel.

Would you buy a house with an obsolete boiler that might be non-repairable the next time it goes wrong ?

Or would you consider the vendor should not mention that the boiler is obsolete even if it is working at the time of sale. ?

About to put my deceased parents' house on the market and the boiler has just packed in.

Ideal Standard Concord RS Series 2. The gas valve has failed.
I see that there are various threads already here on these. As others have said, it's been a work horse of a boiler, and my Dad took great care of it.

Is there an alternative, available gas valve I could fit (or find someone registered to fit)?
I have not been able to find the spare part from obsolete parts suppliers.
Clearly, if I can fix this part, I can save myself thousands on a new boiler with associated piping.

Thanks so much for your help.
Can you give more details of the boiler? The only Series 2 I can find is a commercial boiler. Is there a data plate on the boiler you can post a photo of?

It is commonly not realised that a new boiler costing about £2000 is a massive selling factor with a house.

House A, old boiler mentioned as obsolete. Buyer perceived cost of new boiler at BG prices is £5000. So house needs £5000 spending soon.

House B, with new boiler with a 10 year warranty is perceived as a benefit worth £5000.

So the difference between the two is actually £10,000.

And so £2000 can give a benefit worth £5000 in the buyer's perception.

Tony

But so many sellers are too mean to realise spending a little can be a very good investment.

Many leave the place looking awful even not cutting the grass etc.

It is commonly not realised that a new boiler costing about £2000 is a massive selling factor with a house.

House A, old boiler mentioned as obsolete. Buyer perceived cost of new boiler at BG prices is £5000. So house needs £5000 spending soon.

House B, with new boiler with a 10 year warranty is perceived as a benefit worth £5000.

Tony

FFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Tony
You do come out with some drivel

So you both think when selling a house it is better to sell it in poor condition with outdated appliances?

And the garden all overgrown?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back