Alternative gas valve for an obsolete boiler?

I'm not a big fan of the ri type boilers with the pretty awkward baffle removal but nothing wrong with the cdi's, everything on them easy to get to, diagnose and repair.

Sponsored Links
Tony if you can replace an old Concord, almost certainly with gravity primaries with another heat only boiler and bring the installation up to spec for 2k would you like to join the agency I've just started?

I pass the work to you then when you've done it I collect the money from the client and weigh you out your 2k. You can even keep the scrap!!

I'll throw in an unlimited Oyster card if it sweetens the deal ;)

But your thousands of pounds to replace the boiler is way off the mark. Most replacement boilers that I fit to replace that kind of boiler are well under £2000.

Tony
You really need to stop with this mis-leading information.
It's obvious to the ones that actually do this for a living that the above quote is nothing but nonsense , the OP could be in for a shock when presented with the true cost of these works.

That suggests you may be considering a change of type of boiler, possibly a combi boiler to replace a heat only boiler, the buyers may prefer a heat only boiler with a cylinder in an airing cupboard.

That suggests you know sod all about boilers.
Heat only or combi, there is some serious alteration needed. In fact, depending upon the state of the infrastructure, a combi can be quite a bit cheaper

Sponsored Links
You really need to stop with this mis-leading information.
It's obvious to the ones that actually do this for a living that the above quote is nothing but nonsense , the OP could be in for a shock when presented with the true cost of these works.

It's was ridiculous before but it's getting worse. He, can only be doing it to get a rise.

That suggests you know sod all about boilers.
Suggests nothing of the sort. What it does say is that some buyers of houses know very little about boilers and they may intheir ignorance believe that a combi is better for all situations than a heat only boiler based on the "advice" their plumber gives them.
In fact, depending upon the state of the infrastructure, a combi can be quite a bit cheaper
and also can be more profitable for the installer so hence the installer might be biased by profit to steer the customer towards a combi.

I'm not a big fan of the ri type boilers with the pretty awkward baffle removal but nothing wrong with the cdi's, everything on them easy to get to, diagnose and repair.

Yeah, ever try to change the PRV??!! Complete pile of shyte!!!

Complete rubbish boilers, unreliable, overpriced plastic junk!! Nightmare to work on, cut you to shreds with poorly finished flimsy steel. Extortionately expensive spares & very old technology. One of the worst boiler manufacturers & products on the UK market.
Absolute drivel puller- expensive parts, total Shyte. Plus the old technology. Thought you were a good knowledgeable poster ?

Suggests nothing of the sort. What it does say is that some buyers of houses know very little about boilers and they may intheir ignorance believe that a combi is better for all situations than a heat only boiler based on the "advice" their plumber gives them.

and also can be more profitable for the installer so hence the installer might be biased by profit to steer the customer towards a combi.

You really do not have a clue. You are like Agile but with Zero knowledge. You clearly based your comment upon:

"Clearly, if I can fix this part, I can save myself thousands on a new boiler with associated piping."

and you thought this was evidence of his intention to go for a combi. The chances are that the boiler is on Gravity HW.

And anyway, there is no indication that the house is not 2 bed/1 bath, so a combi may be, for all we know, the ideal solution. Especially if he is flogging the house and just wants the heaating to work.

You also do not understand a tradesman mind set. When a plumber WRONGLY recommends a combi, it is rarely the extra profit that drives him, but the fact that it is generally easier

. You clearly based your comment upon:

"Clearly, if I can fix this part, I can save myself thousands on a new boiler with associated piping."

and you thought this was evidence of his intention to go for a combi. The chances are that the boiler is on Gravity HW.

Replacing a heat only with another heat only would not involve much re-piping. The mention of "with associated piping" suggests a combi may be under consideratio.

When a plumber WRONGLY recommends a combi, it is rarely the extra profit that drives him, but the fact that it is generally easier
Removing redundant hot water cylinder and F&E tanks from the loft, then re-routing hot and cold supplies to several taps in at least two rooms. All that is easier than re-aligning four or five pipes in close proximity to the existing heat only boiler ?

I

OK Dan.. Seriously .... please explain how the cold taps will get a water supply after the redundant tanks ( cisterns ) in the loft have been removed and the supplies to the cold taps have not been re-routed to connect to the incoming mains supply. And would you change the valve(s) in the toilet cistern(s) for high pressure ones ? Not all plumbers do

If only there was a place in the house where the now redundant cold main was adjacent to the pipes that lead to the cold taps :whistle:

No experience and no idea of the practical world. Alternative thinker my 'arris :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back