Alternative gas valve for an obsolete boiler?

Sponsored Links
@Razor900, out of the thousands of boilers you and have probably fitted cumulatively over the years..... How many domestic supply repipes have you had to do on a conversion?

I can't think of one.

If only there was a place in the house where the now redundant cold main was adjacent to the pipes that lead to the cold taps
Of course there is, They often "meet" in the loft so it is likely they are close elsewhere in the house while on their way to and from the loft. There may be a convenient wardrobe where they can be joined in holy ( leaky ) compression at the bottom and so easy to leave the rest of the redundant pipes in place at the back of the wardrobe. ( blocking the way to Narnia )

@Razor900, out of the thousands of boilers you and have probably fitted cumulatively over the years..... How many domestic supply repipes have you had to do on a conversion?

I can't think of one.

I think 2 or 3 Dan, always where the supplies are in barrel and the increased velocity through the pipework pulls the rust off and blocks taps.

I totted it up the other day from old invoices, looks like I've personally installed around 2,300 boilers so if we're being generous around 0.13%

Of course practical experience doesn't stand against theoretical bullspit :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
and the increased velocity through the pipework pulls the rust off and blocks taps.
So it is not a case of just connect mains to low pressure pipework is it. And does every customer call the installer back or, lacking confidence in the installer, do they get a different plumber in to sort out the problems created by the installer taking the easy route. ( a recently retired plumber got a lot of that sort of remedial work )

Keep going Bernard.. We do enjoy reading your ramblings sometimes, especially the anecdotes from a convenient friend who happens to be well respected and knowledgeable in the field you've been shown to have phuk all real knowledge of.

So it is not a case of just connect mains to low pressure pipework is it. And does every customer call the installer back or, lacking confidence in the installer, do they get a different plumber in to sort out the problems created by the installer taking the easy route. ( a recently retired plumber got a lot of that sort of remedial work )

Bernie you've already lost the point very convincingly. Posting further crap will not obsfuscate the truth.

You're just making yourself look even more stupid, you go ahead don't mind us :):):)

Keep going Bernard.. We do enjoy reading your ramblings sometimes, especially the anecdotes from a convenient friend who happens to be well respected and knowledgeable in the field you've been shown to have phuk all real knowledge of.

Aah Dan we almost posted the same thing. Surely you're seething all over the keyboard at how excellently Bernie is trolling everyone??

Actually Bedford is inbetween us. I'll be sure to pass on any work I get on Renos in old cottages, no finders fee needed (y)

Tony if you can replace an old Concord, almost certainly with gravity primaries with another heat only boiler and bring the installation up to spec for 2k would you like to join the agency I've just started?

My standard price to replace a heat only or system boiler is £740 which is not at all cheap in the marketplace. That includes a gas upgrade of up to three metres if required and a new thermostat. It includes whatever cleaning I decide is necessary! But then I guaranty the cleanliness.

So using a Biasi M269 the total cost of replacing a heat only or system boiler can be as low as £1249. But I would usually use a Worcester Ri or Intergas boiler.

But, that obviously is for replacing the boiler only and does not include extra works like system conversion to fully pumped ( £240 ), Mag filter ( £130 ), TRVs ( £35 ) or fancy controls.

There are many who fit boilers far cheaper than me. But then I want to do less work, not more. I have no interest in fitting thousands of boilers, why should I?

Example of cheap installer from Ebay:-

Please ring on 0784256xxxx to confirm availability
This listing is for (supply and fit) new Potterton Promax 24Kw Combi Boiler @ £1000.00 - 2 Years Warranty

Please note this price is for combi swap/change only same flue hole/pipe. If the gas supply to your current boiler is 15mm it will have to be upgraded to 22mm to meet current regulations this will be an extra £150.00

This Installation includes;
  • Boiler and standard horizontal flue.
  • wireless programmer.
  • Cleaning existing system.
  • Inhibitor.
  • Condensation pipe work.
  • Copper pipework alterations under the boiler only.
  • You will be given a full explanation on how new boilers work and you home will be left in a tidy state.
  • All work will be carried out by Gas Safe Engineers
we can also supply and fit Magnetic Filter (Magnaclean Pro2) for an extra cost £100.00

Last edited:
Aah Dan we almost posted the same thing. Surely you're seething all over the keyboard at how excellently Bernie is trolling everyone??

Actually Bedford is inbetween us. I'll be sure to pass on any work I get on Renos in old cottages, no finders fee needed (y)

Seething this morning? No. Despite having manswineflue, an answer machine bursting at the seams after 4 days in a basement..... I'm 8n a stirling mood after a good installation went exactly to plan and schedule.

Bernyboy: Di you cover such garbage in the elec or drainage forum as well?
Can't be bothered reprising but will just mention in regard to changing a very old heat only: Fully pumped & controls.

Tony : Does your crystal ball quote of £240 for FP upgrade include VAT, all the pipework and fittings, cylinder stat and do you reposition the clapped out pump (after taking the valves for a walk).
We all know the Internet quotes wI'll have extras loaded and are unlikely to offer any after sales service.
And, if required, you will do a full power or chem cleanse of a system inside your £740?

Absolute drivel puller- expensive parts, total Shyte. Plus the old technology. Thought you were a good knowledgeable poster ?
IMG_3240.JPG
In fact, changing the PRV on this pile of shyte Greenstar this very day. The whole of the Hydro Block out, 2 visits to A&E for laserations & 4 hours later it's up n running.
Customer is saying Which magazine recommended it & I'm paying a fortune on repairs!!
All marketing w.nk mate, big company with big advertising budget & installers with limited experience or skill fitting them.
Complete rubbish boilers!!!

Yeah, ever try to change the PRV??!! Complete pile of shyte!!!
Yes, just usually get a set of grips up the back and replace the head. I have had to take the hydro block out of a junior once as the f&r pipes ran up the back and there was just no way. Oh and gloves :)

View attachment 110798
In fact, changing the PRV on this pile of shyte Greenstar this very day. The whole of the Hydro Block out, 2 visits to A&E for laserations & 4 hours later it's up n running.
Customer is saying Which magazine recommended it & I'm paying a fortune on repairs!!
All marketing w.nk mate, big company with big advertising budget & installers with limited experience or skill fitting them.
Complete rubbish boilers!!!

Need to brush up on yer skills puller, big time. Various ways to change prv

1) remove pump, 10 secs. Undo plate 2 screws, reach in and remove prv
2) turn gas off, remove gas ISO valve. Pop your little hot dog holder in behind and remove.
3) boiler off wall takes no more than 25 mins

Will pop back on tomorrow for more tips. Tell me what your struggling with and I ll get on it.

As for expensive parts, load of bullox, probs cheaper end spares in the industry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back