Alternatives to screeding?

oly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thinking that there might be a dry alternative to a 65mm thick sand/cement screed, insulated boards for example? finished floor will be some sort of laminate/wood boarding.

Sponsored Links
You could float some T&G chipboard deck over an appropriate thickness foam insulation board, if you wish. It won't have the quality of a screeded floor but it would be adequate for your purposes.

• Thanks
Reactions: oly
So are you saying that you could have a DPC membrane on the soil and then just lay the insulation board and then chipboard?

Sponsored Links
Just thinking that there might be a dry alternative to a 65mm thick sand/cement screed, insulated boards for example? finished floor will be some sort of laminate/wood boarding.

The screed you're referring to isn't particluarly wet...

thanks for all replies guys, all considered I am going to go with traditional screed, I think.

Liquid gypsum based pour is a good alternative.

• Thanks
Reactions: oly
Anhydrite (calcium sulphate) /gypsum based screeds are here in the UK. Following years of exponential growth throughout the rest of Europe, this alternative to standard sand/cement screeds is
now growing in popularity across the UK.
Yeah and floor tilers hate the shoite.

Wouldn't worry about them.
A tiler not up to speed with the screed is probably best avoided anyrode.

Homeowners must be consulted and made aware of the potential problems that can occur with anhydrite (AKA calcium sulphate, gypsum) based screeds.

These screeds are not compatible with any form of cement based materials and must be kept separate from them. Whilst I agree that if the right precautions are taken, things are rosy. However, not everyone will be aware of the make-up of the floor screed in say years to come, especially if a floor re-tile occurs later on.

We avoid them like the plague.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back