Alternatives to sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sealant around my bath always goes mouldy after a few months, even the expensive stuff.

Is their any good looking alternative, which doesnt look cheap and tacky.

Sponsored Links
Don’t know what “expensive stuff” you’ve used but you’re almost certainly using the wrong product; additionally you’ll have problems if there is excessive movement between the bath & the tiles, no forced or natural ventilation in the bathroom or, no offence meant, you never clean it down; or perhaps all of the above!

If you use a good quality, low modulus, sanitary grade silicone & follow some simple rules, the bead should stay in place & last for several years before it needs re-sealing; stick on PVC beading around the bath (or anywhere for that matter!) will always look cack & will also be a breeding ground for far more mould spores & other nasties than a decent silicone bead.

the trims are horrible that go around the baths a terrible way to hide bad silicone, get the lot out and start again with decent tpye, dont go bee and queue for a start dow stuff cant go wrong.

and on your monthly hair wash give it a clean down.

:cool:

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter how good the silicone is; if you don't use it correctly it will ALWAYS hold small amounts of water and WILL go black. A properly applied cheap silicone will way out-perform poorly applied top notch product like dow corning. The idea is to get as smooth a finish as possible.... you got ridges in your silicone? - you'll get black. You've got lifted edges to your silicone where you removed the masking tape and didn't go over it again with your finger? - you'll get black. You've got pockets in your silicone where you haven't used enough? - you'll get black.
Even if you use the best silicone and apply it perfectly, if you have water running over it you'll eventually get small areas of black appearing - it's a given.
This aside; what is for sure though, is that ANY plastic moulding/strip that is fitted around the tile/bath joint is substandard on every level when compared to a decent silicone seal.
Tips for how to apply silicone here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72231

Hope you don't mind me picking up on this thread.

I've recently resealed the bath with a silicon seal but immediately i stood to have a shower 3 days later the bath creaked slightly (I'm not that heavy) and the seal gave way from the bath.

Any advice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back