Alternator replacement: job for a newbie?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing the alternator on a K11 Micra.
Is this something a relative newbie could handle?
I have just removed the battery, a 2-spanner task in the Haynes manual. The hardest part was undoing the rusted up bolts.
Replacing the alternator is a 3-spanner task in Haynes, and jacking up the front wheels is recommended. I don't have the equipment to do this, and I wouldn't be comfortable working under a jacked up car, anyway.

Is it possible to do this job without jacking up the car? The Micra alternator has 2 mounting bolts. The top one is visible and fairly accessible (but it's rusted up, of course). I presume the lower mounting bracket is accessible from under the car.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
all depends on how mechanically minded the person is, i would think that anyone could fit a alternator but when i sent my brother off to do his it was a disaster, long story i won`t go into, i think it is possible to get the bottom bolts out from the top just a bit more difficult, and if it has a lot of pulleys, air-con etc etc, make sure you make a little drawing of the route the belt takes as once it`s off in your hand and you can`t remember how it goes back, will cause you a few problems, and when my brother cocked his up i was on the end of the phone to go and sort it out for him, do you have this luxury, i wouldn`t take this task on unless your confident you can do it.

also have a look at the instructions for retensioning the belt, this can be quite difficult unless you have a suitable lever. You won't be able to do it with your hands.

also have a look at the instructions for retensioning the belt, this can be quite difficult unless you have a suitable lever. You won't be able to do it with your hands.

Tensioning is done using an adjuster bolt, with a conventional spanner.
Replacing and adjusting the drive belt is a "2-spanner" job in the Haynes manual. OK for newbies.
So, it's just a matter of how difficult it will be to unscrew the alternator from it's mounting brackets.

Mike

Sponsored Links
I did one of them a while back. If I remember rightly it was a bit tight getting to the bottom alternator bolts.

Sounds like you're up for doing this and maybe a few other jobs in the future. Why not buy yourself a trolley jack and axle stand set - I picked one up cheap a few years back and use it all the time - best £30 I ever spent. It gives alot more peace of mind to jack up and put down on a stand and makes alot of jobs one hell of alot easier.

just to add, you should never work on a car thats just supported by a jack, either use axle stands, or a pair of ramps.
I would go with jack & axle stands, just make sure where you put the stand is able to take the cars weight.
A friend of mine borrowed my kit, and put the stand under the sump!

Back