Aluminium external door does not close easily

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an aluminum external door installed, and for some reason it doesn't seem to easily close anymore - it needs a really strong push to get the door past the felts on the frame. Once it gets past this, it does shut properly, and can be locked ok.

I'm assuming there is something I can adjust with the hinges, but it's not clear how and what can be adjusted. I have taken a photo of the hinges at this link here (door is on the left, frame on the right of image) and I'd really appreciate anyone's advice, either directly, or if they know the manufacturer, so I can find their instructions online.

An image of the whole door (from the inside) is here

Thanks,

Richard.

Sponsored Links
RichardW77, good evening.

On the inside Image, it appears that the gaps between the door and frame are fairly equal on the top, and both sides, but?

Am I correct but from the Image, it appears that, the sill gap to the door is looking tight? that is the gap at the closing edge of the door the gap to the sill is tight? Do you have to assist the door to close by pushing with your foot against the lower edge of the door?

On the inside Image, it appears that the gaps between the door and frame are fairly equal on the top, and both sides, but?

Am I correct but from the Image, it appears that, the sill gap to the door is looking tight? that is the gap at the closing edge of the door the gap to the sill is tight? Do you have to assist the door to close by pushing with your foot against the lower edge of the door?

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the query. Yes, the gaps aren't too bad, see here for top, and here for bottom (taken from outside). There isn't a need to push at the bottom, in fact, it seems to be more of a problem at the middle, half-way up, where it needs an extra hard nudge for the very edge of the door to get past the felt(?) attached to the frame. Is there a way therefore to reduce the distance between the door and frame on the hinge side, giving a little more wriggle room on the lock side of the door?

Richard.

Is this an old door? Generally the older they get the less they drag on the brush pile, if it's a new door I'd ask you to be patient but it doesn't look a newish door to me, you can always spray the brush with silicone spray

Sponsored Links
Is this an old door? Generally the older they get the less they drag on the brush pile, if it's a new door I'd ask you to be patient but it doesn't look a newish door to me, you can always spray the brush with silicone spray

Thanks for the comment. The door is about 3 years old, and has been fine until recently - perhaps not helped by some building work (which didn't touch the door or frame, but perhaps did something subtly). I hadn't thought of silicone spray - presumably standard WD40 isn't a substitute? Perhaps I should also find a way to clean the pile, as perhaps all the builders dust has clogged them up a bit?

A possibility for cleaning the draft proofing strip is using an old tooth brush?

At the same time have a look at the fitting of the brush? has it possibly been slightly displaced by , say a bag of builders debris brushing over the draft strip, or indeed something hard impacting with the brush strip?

As crank39 use ONLY! silicone type spray as stated WD will simply allow dirt, dust everything to stick to the WD.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back