Aluminium versus stainless steel heat exchangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boilers:

So the manufacturers using stainless steel say their heat exchangers are the greatest. Likewise those using aluminium.

What are the pros and cons?

Sponsored Links
Aluminium boilers have life given by manufacturers of around 10 years (from my training course at Ideal) whilst most s/steel are given life of approx 15 years (Vaillant training). From recent problems I have been called out to with Aluminium boilers I would always go with stainless steel. If aluminium are not serviced 100% and the condensate drain sump gets blocked acidic condenstae will sit there and eat thorough aluminium, as I found a month ago on a 3 year old aluminium boiler. Customers fault though never been serviced, thought she was saving money :rolleyes:

Enviromentally the process of welding stainless steel causes more harmful emissions that condensing boiler will save :eek:

All the Buderus Aluminium heat exchangers in the workshop test models circa run continuously for last 30 years are still original.

I would consider it very wasteful to spend my money on a boiler I thought would only last 10 years.

Paul Barker said:
All the Buderus Aluminium heat exchangers in the workshop test models circa run continuously for last 30 years are still original.

I would consider it very wasteful to spend my money on a boiler I thought would only last 10 years.

Name one Paul that will last 10 years without wanting new parts.

I'll wager there's not a single modern boiler 8-10 year old with all original parts

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
turbomax 242e 1st generation in my kitchen only thing it's had is a diaphram and it is still plodding on 15 BIG rads

;)

Don't count then its had new parts, would have cost loads a money to get a plumber in :LOL:

I know that, but it'll be expected to be repairable for 20 years in my house.

As I'v said elsewhere even an Ariston DIA I have in a flat has done 10 years now without even a diaphragm, and yes the lodgers do use it plenty. I think I'll just stick one in it anyway when I do next landlord certificate..

I also have a Buderus in a flat but that only been in 1 1/2.

My other boilers are heavyweights, those I expect to last another 20 years. I have the gas valves in stock. AND no it is not viable to replace these with condensers, there will never be a return on the investment in my lifetime if you know anything about cost accounting (which I do).

Then there is a Brittony IIt. That I give a new diaphragm every 5 years and clean the pilot jet on my ultrasonic cleaner every year at the gas safety inspection. I expect another 20 years out of it.

doitall said:
kevplumb said:
turbomax 242e 1st generation in my kitchen only thing it's had is a diaphram and it is still plodding on 15 BIG rads

;)

Don't count then its had new parts, would have cost loads a money to get a plumber in :LOL:

shoemenders

couldn't afford a decent plumber :eek:

diaphram is a wearing part on ANY boiler ;)

Paul Barker said:
I know that, but it'll be expected to be repairable for 20 years in my house.

As I'v said elsewhere even an Ariston DIA I have in a flat has done 10 years now without even a diaphragm, and yes the lodgers do use it plenty. I think I'll just stick one in it anyway when I do next landlord certificate..

I also have a Buderus in a flat but that only been in 1 1/2.

My other boilers are heavyweights, those I expect to last another 20 years. I have the gas valves in stock. AND no it is not viable to replace these with condensers, there will never be a return on the investment in my lifetime if you know anything about cost accounting (which I do).

Then there is a Brittony IIt. That I give a new diaphragm every 5 years and clean the pilot jet on my ultrasonic cleaner every year at the gas safety inspection. I expect another 20 years out of it.

Expected to be repairable, but at what cost.

There's a lot of difference in keeping a boiler going for your self at parts cost, than charging hundreds if not thousands of pounds getting RGIs in ever couple of years.

I've said it before the environmetal saving for modern boilers is more than lost having an army of RGIs running around keeping them working.

I know its bad news for the end user but I can only quote what I was told by trainers on manufacturers courses.

The aluminimum one said that it didn't matter as regs will change so much that a new boiler would be needed to keep up with the efficiencies required.

The phrase built in obsolescence springs to mind :evil:

gas4you said:
I know its bad news for the end user but I can only quote what I was told by trainers on manufacturers courses.

The aluminimum one said that it didn't matter as regs will change so much that a new boiler would be needed to keep up with the efficiencies required.

The phrase built in obsolescence springs to mind :evil:

Surely not, at the moment only when changing a boiler or cylinder must we fit latest technology, what you point out implies that we have to all scrap our boilers every time technological improvements are made. No brainer.

No it does matter that the heat exchanger is long lasting, the Buderus one is proven. It is made of a grade of aluminium that has stood the test of time, is replaceable in less than 15minutes, but in anycase can be completely removed and washed out under the tap in the same time 5 times before you even need new seals, not that you would need to do so because it has a large boar whole for the system water to flow through that will not get blocked nearly as soon as many competitors products.

That was that we were told in training, all of us protested as you are doing but basically were just led to the next subject on the course :eek:

No I can't believe it, trainers must have been idiots. Even our stupid government couldn't be that wreckless.

oh yes they can paul as long as we are silly enough to belive them

btw don't mention "Buderus" to DIA gives him a pain in the foot

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
you had to be there ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back