heat exchangers on high efficiency boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an old hot water heating system with a new "high efficiency" system. Weil-McLain offers a cast aluminium heat exchanger; others are stainless steel. Apparently there may be corrosion issues with aluminium, but the heat transfer is much better than with stainless steel. Is this a no-brainer?

Sponsored Links
I'm replacing an old hot water heating system with a new "high efficiency" system. Weil-McLain offers a cast aluminium heat exchanger; others are stainless steel. Apparently there may be corrosion issues with aluminium, but the heat transfer is much better than with stainless steel. Is this a no-brainer?
Hi AlaskaFrank.

This is a UK based forum, so names like Weil-McLain mean nothing to us.

The majority opinion this side of the pond is that stainless steel is preferable as it is not prone to corrosion.

I suggest you also ask your question on a US site such as Heating Help

The thermal conductivity of stainless steel is awful, but I assume this is taken into account by making the heat exchangers sufficiently thin or suitably shaped. There doesn't seem to be any consistent difference in efficiency between boilers with heat exchangers made from different materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back