Always question trust!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago, when moving into a house with a mate of mine which was seriuosly void of enough socketry for modern living,
he asked if I could provide some parts for making up an extension lead for his bedroom. Being in a position to do so,
I aquired a plug top, some 1.5mm flex & a 4 way trailing socket.

I asked what length he needed, he said, "that's no problem, I'll connect it up".

Thinking nothing of it, I let him get on with it.

As it worked, I also thought nothing of it.

Some years later, we moved house again & it transpired that the length of the lead he'd made was no longer required for his use,
so I decided it would be of use to me.

So I layed the required length of flex out which suited my requirements & cut the flex to length.

Having whipped the remaining flex out of the trailing socket I reconnected the flex into the correct terminals.

After scratching my head as to why it no longer worked (leaning over my non double insulated hifi gear with metal casing), I decided to check the wiring
of the plug top.

He'd only wired the brown core to earth & the green/yellow core to phase, because "brown is the colour of earth"

Luckily, I was wearing my big novelty slippers at the time!

Sponsored Links
You mean 230v across the heart wouldn't invigorate you?

The idea of that section of the forum is tales of woe.

It's DIY mistakes.

Lighten up.

Sponsored Links
Lighten up.????????????? :LOL:

heres one for you: i inherited some stuff off my grandad and i ended up with his electric razor. i knew he was dodgy with electrics so i checked the adapter. he had covered a blown fuse with aluminium foil to save buying another.

check it or risk it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back