Am I A Grumpy B'stard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before you all shout "YES!" back at me in unison, hear me out.

I was in Sainsbury's today.

I got some sushi & a paper & went to the (only) "express" checkout that was (wo)manned.

As I waited, I got more & more annoyed. I could see six self-serve check-outs, of which only one was in use, by someone who was desperate to beat the queue I was in.

It is quite obvious to me that 99% of folk, like me, want to be served by a human being.

So why do supermarkets insist on installing shed-loads of DIY tills while at the same time cutting back hugely on the numbers of operative manned tills? Well, we all know why really, but it did infuriate me somewhat...

In the end, I put my stuff back & left empty-handed. I shall write a snotty letter to Stamford Street ASAP......

Sponsored Links
I'm confused - why didn't you use one of the self-serve tills? I think they're a great idea, or have I missed something?

I, like many others, hate self-service check-outs.

I have to go round serving myself with the produce...the least the store can do is provide a real human being to put it in a bag & take my money with a hello & a smile.

I dunno, I just think that it's a backward step, done to save money. I'm convinced that most folk want to be served by a person, not a machine.

Personally, I see no real advantage to them but I do use them when I've only got 1 or 2 things as the queues are shorter!

Three things I'd fix though:

1) Put those magnetic stripes in the floor so trolleys can't go near them
2) Design them so you can use your own bag without the till shouting out "Hey, thief here! He's bl**dy nicking something, look!"
3) Anyone who doesn't have the wits to operate a pocket calculator shouldn't be allowed anywhere near them.

A few years ago there was talk of RFID devices being used as barcodes are now, and you'd just walk through an airport scanner-type thing with your trolley and it would automatically know exactly what you've got.

I bet it would still scream out "Look, this bloke's a SHOPLIFTER!" though. Probably because of the security tag out of the DVD you picked up.

Sponsored Links
I have to go round serving myself with the produce…
Supermarkets were designed with self-service in mind.

...the least the store can do is provide a real human being to put it in a bag & take my money with a hello & a smile.
Would you not be better off in a traditional store ie butchers?

I dunno, I just think that it's a backward step, done to save money. I'm convinced that most folk want to be served by a person, not a machine.
The checkout person is generally too slow. Sainsburys is p*sspoor; the CO person put the “wait” in Waitrose. They seem to be a lot quicker in Lidl and Aldi, though. Otherwise I would go for the machine every time.

Anyway, I prefer self service checkouts, I really don't want a smile and a thank you, I just want to get my stuff and go. The less human interaction the better as far as I'm concerned.

of course you meant put it in the hessian bag that you of course remembered to take with you. :D

Yes. If I don't have a bag, I don't ask for one!

Fair enough, up to now, it seems I'm wrong: people are happy with a S/S checkout.

OK, you're right, I am a frumpy gucker... :LOL: But before you judge me entirely on the S/S checkout debate, let's move on to a different topic:

While I was in the queue, I saw the checkout lady lick her fingers to aid separation of the bags.

This is a personal pet hate of mine: I detest it.

She asked me if I wanted a bag so I told her "Not if you're going to spit on it."

She was rather offended and said so. I told her I was rather offended that she thought it perfectly acceptable to wipe her bacteria-laden spit on the bag she was putting my food in & expecting me to carry.

Morrisons have damp sponges for this very purpose: why not JS?

Am I still being grumpy??

A brilliant advert for Self Service Checkouts and your use of them I would have thought!

I don't think you're grumpy Secures but I do think you need to decide if you want a a person to serve you (with all the faults a human has ie licking fingers to part bags), or if you are better served by a machine without such faults. :) I mean, here you are stating you want to be served by a person then you embarrass the poor soul who does serve you? If JS et al, don't provide wet sponges or the like then how does the average human cope with parting those plastic bags other than to wet their finger the way that is done universally? Its not her fault the company are so lacking Secures.

You need to get off and write your letter, it'll probably make you feel better. :D Don't use one of those envelopes you have to lick mind!!! :eek: :D

By the way, I HATE Supermarkets FULL STOP! When I do use them I always use the Self Service Checkouts (where available), saves me from the indignity of conversing with one of those Finger Lickers!!! :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

EDIT: Hey! just realised its my 1000th post!!!! The drinks are on..... errrmm....Secures!!! :LOL:

What I want to know is where in the Uk youmanaged to find a petrol station that fills the tank for you while you sit on your ass in the car/van ??

OR do you fill it yourself?

Same thing, they are quick & easy.
USe them & stop being a grumpy sod :D

What I want to know is where in the Uk youmanaged to find a petrol station that fills the tank for you while you sit on your ass in the car/van ??

On the A25 near Horsley in Surrey.

And there used to be one in Walthamstow all the fuel was sold in £10 units.

Yes. If I don't have a bag, I don't ask for one!

I'd have thought this would be one of the situations when you might consider asking for (more probably paying for) one.

I reckon I've got nearly as many of those damn hessian bags as I ever had placcy bags. I may have to cut a few up, and make some stout underwear with them :eek: :LOL:

No offence, but yes you are :D

Supermarket's get really busy so they provide self service checkouts just to get the queues moving a bit faster.

Yes they save on paying staff to operate the tills but if you were running that kind of business, wouldn't you?

I know I would rather go to a self service if it was mad busy, fair enough if it wasn't I would probably go to someone on a till.

I work in a petrol station and I have really noticed how lazy the general public are getting, we have signs on our doors, "pull".. "push"... but they both open automatically too, one from the inside, one from the outside.

If someone tries to come "in" the door that opens automatically if you are going "out" of the shop, and it doesnt automatically open (with a push sign on it) they will walk to the other one so it will open for them!!

I must be old-fashioned then!!

I would like a human to serve me, but without having to use spit on my bags (should I need one).

Am I expecting too much for someone who is paid to provide a service to do it properly?

Sponsored Links
Back