I Don't Do Shopping......

S

Shutpa

.....but most Fridays, I drive my wife up to Morrisons and sit in the car for up to an hour and a half while my wife picks up everything on her shopping list. And if she meets a really good friend, it could be longer. But I don't mind, because it is the one time in the whole week that I can sit back with not a care in the world, listening to the radio. Today, it was different. She got out of the car and walked straight into the store without picking up a trolley. Five minutes later when she hadn't reappeared, I guessed that she had managed to procure a trolley in the store and I turned on the radio. The David Cameron saga was boring! Not so the news that Asda sales had dropped by some 5% compared to the same period last year. I then began to wonder how Morrisons were doing. Fifty minutes later, I got a shock when the door opened and my wife got in. "Where are the groceries" I asked? "In Aldi's", she replied, "let's go. I've priced my list here, now let's see what I'll pay for it in Aldis". I must explain that until a couple of years ago when Lidl and Aldi arrived, both Tesco and Morrisons monopolised the towns grocery spending. I will also say that until today, I, we, had never been in either of the newcomers.
When we arrived at Aldi's, I was surprised that the large car park was almost full. Curiosity got the better of me and although I may rue the day, I decided to shop with my wife. "Look" she says, "skimmed milk 59p, It's 79p in Morrisons!". And so it went on and on. Potatoes, eggs, spread, ginger nuts, and even vodka bought for medicinal purposes;) - all were cheaper. And when we eventually reached the checkouts, 5 of them in all with queues, I began to understand why Asda sales had dropped. We had saved £23.30! In this town, 2 years ago, all of the money now pouring into the Aldi tills, and probably Lidls too, would have gone straight into the Asda or Morrison coffers. I am now wondering just how the big 4 will deal with the ever-increasing threat of the Deutsch Duo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Yes but the quality of the non branded stuff is often crap. But luckily those that do shop there have lower standards, so they don't notice, still, they help keep the lowlife's out of the my local supermarket.

Yes but the quality of the non branded stuff is often crap
According to our local newspaper both A and L consistently come up as best buys in terms of taste.
But luckily, those that do shop there, have lower standards, so they don't notice. Still, they help keep the lowlife's out of the my local supermarket.
Assuming that those who have lower standards and who keep the lowlifes out of your local supermarket are, in your opinion, the less well off, can I take take it that my nephew, who was made redundant earlier today, and will of necessity start shopping at Aldi's, is a lowlife?

In their, and Bolo's, defence I have to say that because their prices are so cheap we have had the opportunity to sample various foreign foods that we wouldn't have dreamed of because the prices in the other stores were too high to simply throw it away if you didn't like it. They have helped to broaden our taste range and if they can do it then I would suggest the Big 4 should stop their gimmicks of vouchers, points etc and actually reduce their prices if they want to compete. Status in life has nothing to do with it. Being sucked in by 'branded advertising' plays a large part in too many peoples lives.

Sponsored Links
how long have aldi and lidl been open??
if more than a year its full price
if less than a year they open a new store with prices perhaps 30% cheeper than normal so perhaps 50% off competition
over the next year or so goes to full price still cheaper but not so good

Aldi and Lidl have many award winning foods and drinks, beating the big four .

i love lidls and shop there a lot
we have to be careful with some off the claims "best awards" means little as companies pay to be entered in the catagories
there are so many magazines or websites that every "product " can be the worst and best in catagory in a different website
they can often pay to be entered
they can often pay again for the semifinal then quater final and final so each level can costs more money to be entered
so the results can go with the money rather than with the winner

Last edited:
Yes but the quality of the non branded stuff is often crap. But luckily those that do shop there have lower standards, so they don't notice, still, they help keep the lowlife's out of the my local supermarket.
Aldi sell the best chicken I have tasted in decades. Tesco, Mozzies, Sainsbury, Waitrose. Crap crap crap and crap.
M&S is a close second.
I'm a 'reluctant' shopper to say the least and am not known to frequent any of the supermarkets. My opinions of supermarket food are down to taste test only. The Aldi stuff (meat in particular) is not just better than their rivals but significantly better.

?....I have to say that because their prices are so cheap we have had the opportunity to sample various foreign foods
Spoke to another shopper in the store yesterday and he told me more or less the same thing. He and his wife shop at both A & L and each time they go they try a new product. Don't tell my wife conny, but I really enjoyed the experience.

how long have aldi and lidl been open??
Lidl about 18 months and Aldi just under a year.

if more than a year its full price....if less than a year they open a new store with prices perhaps 30% cheeper than normal so perhaps 50% off competition.....over the next year or so goes to full price still cheaper but not so good
I didn't know that and find it astonishing that for a year or so, they can sell for 50% cheaper than the big 4!
Having a cuppa and sharing my shopping experience with a neighbour yesterday, he told me that they had shopped at A & L since they opened and were amazed at the cash savings of around 20%. In real terms, that amounted to around £1000.00 a year for them.

Aldi and Lidl have many award winning foods and drinks, beating the big four .

....we have to be careful with some off the claims "best awards" means little as companies pay to be entered in the catagories....there are so many magazines or websites that every "product " can be the worst and best in catagory in a different website....they can often pay to be entered....they can often pay again for the semifinal then quater final and final so each level can costs more money to be entered....so the results can go with the money rather than with the winner
My knowledge of 'best' awards is severely limited. That said, I did read some time ago that Which Magazine had declared Aldi as the 'Best Supermarket' for the fourth year running and the same magazine declared Aldi's or Lidl's washing up liquid as its Best Buy a year or more ago. My local newspaper, and I imagine lots of other local newspapers, has a weekly Best Buy page and my wife tells me that A&L products often beat the big 4. I can't see any supermarket paying for these tastings only to end up as 'Worst' buy!
Re your comment on "...the results can go with the money rather than with the winner", I would be very surprised if that is the case.

Aldi sell the best chicken I have tasted

Haven't tasted their chicken, but I can say that Aldi's cod steaks, after being cooked to perfection by me, (ie 3 minutes in the microwave;)), were absolutely delicious.

OK slightly off topic - has anyone ever bought meat from Costco? I usually buy the made in house pre packed stuff like lasagna and stew and dumplings and must say it's the best I've tasted, the pre packed mince beef is as lean as I've ever seen as well and the size of the chicken breasts makes you wonder how big the chickens must of been, non of this 6 week old McDonalds crap in there

OK slightly off topic - has anyone ever bought meat from Costco? I usually buy the made in house pre packed stuff like lasagna and stew and dumplings and must say it's the best I've tasted, the pre packed mince beef is as lean as I've ever seen as well and the size of the chicken breasts makes you wonder how big the chickens must of been, non of this 6 week old McDonalds crap in there
Yep. We've been members for years and agree with every word you've said. Their butchermeat is second to none. In my opening post and in the thread title, I stated that I don't do shopping, but when I read your reply I realised that I got it wrong. Costco is my favourite store and I just love taking advantage of all the tastings when we go there every 3 months or so.
That said, there's much more to Costco than groceries. Where else can you take a vacuum cleaner or television that's broken down after 3or 4 years and get offered a replacement or a refund? Well worth the £30.00 a year membership.

Edit: Forgot to mention the huge, made to order (bespoke?) birthday cakes at around £13.00. My mouth's watering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on topic, the nearest Aldi to me is not very big and mostly caters to the less prosperous residents. Some of their stock is made cheap to sell cheap (meat pies and similar) but some is top quality regardless of price. For example their standard chocolate is far better than cadbury or nestle, and their premium chocolate equals Lindt. Yet in both cases is significantly cheaper (lots of people won't buy cadbury's any more, since the kraft/mondelez scam it is sticky and greasy, perhaps due to palm oil).

Their mayonnaise is better than big-brand or own-brand from other supermarts

Their Christmas lines (mince pies, puddings etc) are better and cheaper than Waitrose, Harrods, Tesco and Fortnums. I am sure they lose money on them, and are a ploy to get the well-heeled into their shops.

Their bread, croissants etc are better than big-brand or other supermarts.

Sponsored Links
Back