tesco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went with my mum to Tesco the other day, we dont normally shop there, but she had some vouchers. When we got to the checkout, i was amazed when she pulled out SAINSBURYS vouchers and the girl on the till accpeted them. Apparently, they just absorb this loss. IMO, this is appalling behaviour by the UK's biggest supermarket, in its attempt to grow even larger and "get one over" on its main competitor. I cant believe they can get away with this. Surely Sainsbury should be taking legal action against Tesco for this. Actually, i wonder if they know . . .

Can you tell i dont like Tesco? Their sole ambition seems to be growth. They buy stores everywhere, and even build new ones in none-profitable places, in their seemingly desperate attempt to overtake all the other supermarkets. Well, Morrisons gets my custom every time. Good northern company ;)

Sponsored Links
I think its reasonably common and they all do it - Kind of like a matching other company's deal type thing. My local Tesco used to take any old voucher and give you the money off, regardless of whether you bought the right product or not - I used to save a fortune that way.

Prefer Tesco myself, though I did feel a little sense of Northern pride when Morrisons won the battle to take over Safeway

i rather think they don't actually loose anything, if they take thousands of vouchers they can trade them for something else like real currency, Asda do similar deals.

johnny_t said:
My local Tesco used to take any old voucher and give you the money off, regardless of whether you bought the right product or not
the companies that issue and redeem these product specific vouchers dont ask for proof of sale from retailers when redeeming vouchers. So this sort of thing is commonplace (we do it at our stores).

But accepting the wrong store specific vouchers just seems a very unethical thing to do. Imagine if Tesco went to Sainsburys and tried to redeem these vouchers, would you give Tesco the money??? Its entirely anti-competitive and they can only do it because they have extortionate profits and can "afford this loss"

incidentally, the company i work for invests a lot of money into community schemes and does not make excessive profits.

Sponsored Links
When we are all pensioners (not until we are 96 apparently) and receive our £3 a month pension (or whatever it will be by then) I don't think we will give a flying fornication who takes our vouchers. I already don't. All these firms make millions, what is 2p off a tin of beans? Then again, I am 33 now, and obviously no longer a true rebel to the cause.

They sell petrol cheap at a loss anyway just to get you into their shop! Like everything else in life, they do anything to make money, can you blame them?

Supermarkets have always had "loss leaders". By brand name bread, it's £1.20 or so a loaf. Buy own brand, it's about 10p.

Well, Morrisons gets my custom every time. Good northern company

I once pi**ed myself in a Bradford branch of Morrisons... there was an aisle with a big sign saying "fancy veg"... the fanciest thing in the "fancy veg" was green peppers. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I never knew that supermarkets were regional until I visited the north. Back in about 98, TV ads for Morrisons were being shown on BBC Yorkshire, Tyne Tees and so forth. But I had never heard of Morrisons. But I'm sure that in some parts of the country, people hadn't heard of Waitrose or Tesco. :confused:

Anyway, Morrisons is just as bad. There are Morrisons shops in the south now, too... not too many, of course. Just enough to keep the ex-pats from Yorkshire happy. ;)

AdamW said:
I once pi**ed myself in a Bradford branch of Morrisons... there was an aisle with a big sign saying "fancy veg"... the fanciest thing in the "fancy veg" was green peppers. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Green Peppers are fancy, ya' cheeky southern sh*te. Just for that, I'm going to get pedantic....

AdamW said:
Back in about 98, TV ads for Morrisons were being shown on BBC Yorkshire,

I doubt it ;)

Or was it BBC "West Yorkshire"? :p

From what I've been told, northern supermarkets are better for meat. I went in a Morrison's down south and they had about 4 aisles of the stuff :eek:

I wish they'd had a sign saying "Veg is for tarts and puffs" :LOL:

TraineeSpark said:
All these firms make millions, what is 2p off a tin of beans? ...

Individually nowt, collectively massive amount.
One day we, the people, will learn from this and collectively boot the shisters out of it .. thus affording a better individual life... But do not hold your breath, I'm a celeb is on the telly.... :( :( :D :D

Sponsored Links
Back