I Don't Do Shopping......

Aldi and Lidl have many award winning foods and drinks, beating the big four .

....we have to be careful with some off the claims "best awards" means little as companies pay to be entered in the catagories....there are so many magazines or websites that every "product " can be the worst and best in catagory in a different website....they can often pay to be entered....they can often pay again for the semifinal then quater final and final so each level can costs more money to be entered....so the results can go with the money rather than with the winner
My knowledge of 'best' awards is severely limited. That said, I did read some time ago that Which Magazine had declared Aldi as the 'Best Supermarket' for the fourth year running and the same magazine declared Aldi's or Lidl's washing up liquid as its Best Buy a year or more ago. My local newspaper, and I imagine lots of other local newspapers, has a weekly Best Buy page and my wife tells me that A&L products often beat the big 4. I can't see any supermarket paying for these tastings only to end up as 'Worst' buy!
Re your comment on "...the results can go with the money rather than with the winner", I would be very surprised if that is the case.

there was a tv program about it they make the categories so bazar few items would fit

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Aldi and Lidl have many award winning foods and drinks, beating the big four .

....we have to be careful with some off the claims "best awards" means little as companies pay to be entered in the catagories....there are so many magazines or websites that every "product " can be the worst and best in catagory in a different website....they can often pay to be entered....they can often pay again for the semifinal then quater final and final so each level can costs more money to be entered....so the results can go with the money rather than with the winner
My knowledge of 'best' awards is severely limited. That said, I did read some time ago that Which Magazine had declared Aldi as the 'Best Supermarket' for the fourth year running and the same magazine declared Aldi's or Lidl's washing up liquid as its Best Buy a year or more ago. My local newspaper, and I imagine lots of other local newspapers, has a weekly Best Buy page and my wife tells me that A&L products often beat the big 4. I can't see any supermarket paying for these tastings only to end up as 'Worst' buy!
Re your comment on "...the results can go with the money rather than with the winner", I would be very surprised if that is the case.

Although your "We are.....all still learning" fill the gap well BA, I wondered if perhaps you had forgotten to add a comment?

Edit: Sorry, it's appeared now!

Sponsored Links
Yes but the quality of the non branded stuff is often crap. But luckily those that do shop there have lower standards, so they don't notice, still, they help keep the lowlife's out of the my local supermarket.

As has been said, the German Duo are often winning taste tests and beating more expensive products hands down.

Yes, both Aldi & Lidl have a "value" range which are cheap & cheerful but they are no worse (in many cases they are better) than the "mainstream" supermarkets plus they are cheaper on top.

As your stupid statement about "lowlife's" [sic], there are people from all walks of life in all the supermarkets and you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

You'd do well to take your blinkers off.

I suspect FreddyM didn't quite realise how his comments would come across, but I can sort of understand where he coming from. A lot of the people who shop in my local A&L, are either on benefits, or don't speak English. But when I saw my sister shopping there, I thought how the mighty had fallen.

From my experience, whilst A&L started off at the same place, Aldi decided to move itself upwards, but Lidl hasn'r really done the same yet. Both companies have a formula of selling cheap things cheaply, but in some cases, crap food cheaply, but they've also brought in a lot of good lines and are taking sales form the big guys. But's it's like shopping at any supermarket, you buy something new, try it, and move on to something else if you don't like it.

I've tried a lot of Lidl's budget/recommended wines, and they can taste great on day one, but slightly undrinkable on day two.

Like in all walks of life, you pays yer money, and takes yer choice.

I've tried a lot of Lidl's budget/recommended wines, and they can taste great on day one, but slightly undrinkable on day two.
if you're talking about a bottle of wine that's been left open overnight, it'll be oxidised, so will taste naff. Even if you reseal it, it'll have too much air in the bottle.
If you don't finish the wine the same night it's good for cooking, not for drinking, otherwise buy the bag-in-a-box.

Back