Am I a Luddite ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My love/hate relationship with Hayter mowers has seen me get my third one in as many years. All 41's (16"?) self propelled with roller. First one was B+S engine with fuel tank under the carb + a primer bulb. Cold start fine, hot start needed up to 10 pulls- operator presence handle made it stop while emptying bag. Second one would only run with choke half on despite dismantling and cleaning the carb (B+S engine with fuel tank above carb) There was a bang and the drive jockey pulley fell out. Still works OK as a push mower.2 pulls hot or cold. Latest one has a Tecumseh engine, no operator handle, it just keeps running until I stop it. Starts one pull hot or cold, pulls itself along fine. Total cost c.£150 (£50 a year) Gave one to my son who can manage 10 pulls (goes to the gym ) The jockey less one went to daughter in law to push on flat lawn. Now should I buy a brand new one next year ?- I expect to be able to follow behind one for 20 years. ;)

Sponsored Links
For sure, not as good as they used to be mate.....I look after a couple of Briggs powered Hayters and there are some dramatic design faults - such as running a front axle directly through aluminium :eek: and crap vario pulley transmissions. These machines have no throttle controls either - just constant speed.
Still can't beat the Hondas (at a price!)
John :)

I use my dad's old Atco from the very early 1960s. It takes anywhere between 5 and 25 pulls to get it started, the choke always has to be out but I love it!

I've had a bit of experience with more modern stuff but I genuinely believe in getting a second had Atco and keeping that going - plus there's money in them! Mine is 56 years old now and still keeps putting stripes on the lawn.

Sponsored Links
What's this newfangled engine stuff?! :)
I have a qualcast push mower, not sure how old it is as got it on ebay for £1. It looked pretty tired but I love it, it never seems to go wrong!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back