Am I being ripped off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I unfortunatley bumped into a car in my van which caused the towbar to press the bumber alittle which caused the sides of bumper to pop out a mm or two.
I said i'd just pay for repair, thinking at most a partial new tow bar. But the guy has come back saying it need a totally new tow bar and a new bumper at a cost of nearly £700. (his garage says)
From the pictures do you think it needs a new bumber etc. I wouldn't mind but the car is an 02 mondeo and can't be worth that much
Any help would be appreciated thanks...pics below
View media item 37890 View media item 37896 View media item 37897Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ask him to supply you with two or three quotes, on headed paper with all parts, paint and labour itemised.
If you want to pay cash, then do so to the body shop and get a receipt.
Don't pay cash to the Mondeo owner - chances are he'll pocket it and forget about the rest.
He is entitled to a perfect repair, though.
John :)

i'm sorry to say but due to experiance i would say that you are not being ripped off. my old man was hit slightly in a simalar way and his cheapest quote was £400 pounds or so. the best was that the other driver drove away and he went through his insurance. he has now lost his no claims and his insurance after 40 years without a claim is £750.00! put it down to experience and keep a better distance and stay alert! no offence intended :)

Have protected no claims. F*ck all that paying out your own pocket thats what insurance is for.
People budget on cheap insurance look what happens.

Sponsored Links
Ask him to supply you with two or three quotes, on headed paper with all parts, paint and labour itemised.
If you want to pay cash, then do so to the body shop and get a receipt.
Don't pay cash to the Mondeo owner - chances are he'll pocket it and forget about the rest.
He is entitled to a perfect repair, though.
John :)
There is no way I would even consider embarking upon a repair with a garage having been given reassurance that the bloke who hit me would pay the garage direct. If it were me, (the victim) I would accept nothing but cash prior to the repair otherwise go through insurance. Agree about the quotes bit though of course.

dear seco services.
thanks for thew advice on protected no claims but get with the real world and try being a pensioner on a limited budget. what you going to tell them to do now, ride the bus with the rest of the wrinklys? this was a discusion as to wether a person was being ripped off not a go at age concerned! :mad:

Back