Am I being taken for a ride?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A kitchen fitter I asked for a quote has told me that I do not need a part P because he will just be working on 'existing circuits'.

This sounds like rubbish to me as I want 4 new double plug sockets, an extractor fan and 12v underlighting fitted (controlled from wall switch), none of which currently exist. The electric oven also needs to hooked up to the existing 'oven' switch.

I can not see how this in anyway could be construed as existing circuits!

I am looking to sell the house within the next 24 months so want to make sure everything is above board. When I queried him he said the part P regs only apply to new installations and that this would not be classed as such.

Could anyone advise me on whether a part p is needed?

Is it a grey area or is he definately taking me for a ride?

Presumably this fitter is trying to do the job on the cheap?

Any advice greatfully received.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Yes he's trying to do the job on the cheap.

Do not employ his services.

You "need a part p" when you are adding onto, or otherwise altering, a circuit in a kitchen, bathroom or outdoors.

Ask him where he gets his part p's from. I've never seen one, myself. :rolleyes:

The only bit of the work you've described that probably *wouldn't* be notifiable is the hooking up of the electric oven, everything else is, so either needs to be notified to the LABC in advance of the work being done, or done by a member of a self-certification scheme.

As I understand it, dodgy kitchen fitters are one of the reasons that Part P was brought in - as quite often people without any proper training/qualifications in electrical work will wire things in, often running cables outside of safe zones, burying choc block etc etc resulting in a very unsafe installation.

Thanks for your replies.

Actually it's only half the story as when I asked him via an email to clarify if the work would be certified he quoted the regulations at me - but altered the wording to make it sound like alterations to kitchens were exempt - I've pasted his reply below:

Q5: What types of electrical work are 'non-notifiable'?
The following types of work are non-notifiable:

Work that is not a special location and does not involve a special installation (5.) and consists of:
Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (6.)
Adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (6.)

---------------------------------
He has actually amended the wording of the regs to ready "Work that is not a special location and does not involve a special installation" instead of
"Work that is not in a kitchen a special location and does not involve a special installation"

Quoting me doctored regs is presumably fraudulent?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Ask him, when he does work at clients houses, where does he park his horse?

A first class cowboy. :rolleyes:

You can also read a the cut down relevent part P of the building regs here:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:statutory-instrument
Clearly says that adding a light fittings, sockets etc in a kitchen isn't non-notifiable hence is notifiable:
[code:1]
DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS REQUIRED

2. Work which -
(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,

(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and

(c) consists of -
(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit; or

(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit;
[/code:1]

Quoting me doctored regs is presumably fraudulent?
You don't have any evidence that he's deliberately misleading you - he could just be mistaken.

You have three options:

1. Ignore him, and engage someone competent instead.
2. Report him to the authorities, and engage someone competent instead.
3. Give him enough rope to hang himself, then report him to the authorities, then engage someone competent instead.

This guy doesn't install kitchens for a DIY retailer does he? I had to chase one out of a job last week and am picking up the pieces. He quoted regulations and everything to me but had no idea as to what they actually involved.

I tricked him a couple of times and he has now dissapeared :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back