Am I Being Unneccessarily Harsh?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I know you're disappointed, but I have no pictures. The client was at my shoulder the whole time I was there.

I went to a tenanted flat today. Shower tripping.

I tested IR, good. Loop, 0.5 ohms, RCBO operating satisfactorily.

Shower 10.8kW on 40A circuit on 6milli. Shower circuit comes from 60A Wylex board (via B40) into an MEM board with B 40A RCBO in.

The top of the MEM board was completely butchered: you could touch the (badly) terminated conductors in the top of the RCBO. The iso switch was in Z2 (on a level with the top of the shower cubicle, right next to it). To cap it all off, there was no bonding, no RCD protection for any other circuits and there was a wall light in the bathroom (std GU10 spot with rocker switch) also in Z2.

Aside from the lack of RCD protection, I condemned the installation.

Harsh?

The client thought so. I spent a long time explaining myself to no avail.

Sponsored Links
depends on what you define as "condemned it"..

did you take put the B40 feeding the secondary CU and walk off with it?
or did you just note down all the fails and refuse to issue a certificate for it?

I'd give the accessable live connections through the board cover a code 1, no RCD for other bathroom circuits, 4, lack of main bonding 2 (used to be 1, but not anymore :cry: ), lack of sup bonding a 2 if its required in the first place, overloaded circuit code 2, stuff in zone 2 would mostly be code 2, but could also be 1 depending on exact location

I know its probably not a PIR, but easier to think of it that way

So clearly unsatisfactory (but we have all seen worse)

Sponsored Links
depends on what you define as "condemned it"..

did you take put the B40 feeding the secondary CU and walk off with it?
or did you just note down all the fails and refuse to issue a certificate for it?
No. I issued paperwork condemning the install and advising not to use those parts of the installation. I cannot isolate an installation or part thereof unless the client gives me permission.

A certain company offering gas and electric certs for landlords passed it a few months ago...should be fun!!

How did they fit a B40 into a Wylex 60A board? A little bit of modification to the holder or was it sat wonky?
Still - it is your call at the end of the day and you can only give your professional opinion on what you find. As you have pointed out a few code 1s then I think you are probably correct in saying the installation should be condemned until it is made safe.

Damn right, I would have just issued a 'Report of a Dangerous Electrical Installation' report and cleared off.

A perfect opertunity to issue an NIC 'danger notification'. He signs it, your covered.

Why did you do any tests?

probrably something that ended in "off" and "dont come back" :D

I'd be tempted to send a recorded letter to the tenant detailing your concerns.

What sort of tenant by the way? Council or private? If council, cc your letter to the council as well.

Whatever happens, make sure you've CYA.

A letter to the council EH dept anyway - their remit covers privately rented accommodation.

A perfect opertunity to issue an NIC 'danger notification'. He signs it, your covered.

Did that.

Why did you do any tests?

Cos the landlord had had complaints the shower was tripping. I wanted to prove the IR was sound. I could have just filled out the form got a signature & hoofed it, but I wanted to prove it wasn't a cable fault causing the tripping but most likely overcurrent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back