Am I better buying corded drill for infrequent use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have a dewalt combi drill 18v. Takes a long time for battery to charge and when it does it seems to start dipping in power rather quickly. So I was thinking either to buy a new battery but my worry is the same thing would happen again as I use it infrequently. Or I was thinking new drill with Li-ion battery-would this have same issue? Or lastly was thinking of buying a corded drill. What are your thoughts? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The issues of Nicad batteries have been long done away with in lithium batteries. I can get a week of constant daily use out of a 5ah battery and then some. However 5ah isnt for infrequent user just on price, so a 2 or 3ah battery would be fine.

They don't discharge very quickly either when left standing. You can leave them for weeks or months and they'll be as you left them. Much quicker to recharge too.

They also don't have a memory like Nicad did from partial charging. They're consistent.

A corded drill will be cheaper than a cordless, but it'll never have the flexibility. If it's infrequent use, then pick up a dewalt 795 with 2AH batteries; they're crap, but cheap. The 1.5's from screwfix are atrociously underpowered. I had a dewalt 18v, and the local shop sold me a 985, and I found it no where near as uforgiving and flexible as the old one, so gave it back; but the 795 is better than the old one, and about 2 thirds the weight.

Sponsored Links
The issues of Nicad batteries have been long done away with in lithium batteries. I can get a week of constant daily use out of a 5ah battery and then some. However 5ah isnt for infrequent user just on price, so a 2 or 3ah battery would be fine.

They don't discharge very quickly either when left standing. You can leave them for weeks or months and they'll be as you left them. Much quicker to recharge too.

They also don't have a memory like Nicad did from partial charging. They're consistent.
Thanks will check out some Li-ion drills

A corded drill will be cheaper than a cordless, but it'll never have the flexibility. If it's infrequent use, then pick up a dewalt 795 with 2AH batteries; they're crap, but cheap. The 1.5's from screwfix are atrociously underpowered. I had a dewalt 18v, and the local shop sold me a 985, and I found it no where near as uforgiving and flexible as the old one, so gave it back; but the 795 is better than the old one, and about 2 thirds the weight.
Will check out screwfix stock. Thanks

Tried this once on old drill- wrecked the screw.. why does this happen? Too much power?

battery drill say 0-2000 revolutions with a slow speed range low torque
mains 4000rpm with no clutch for screws and the electronics not happy at all with low revs

I find an inexpensive mains drill is very handy for those (infrequent) occasions when I have a lot of repetitive holes to drill, or large ones, and a battery might run flat or struggle with speed and power (e.g. counterbattening and flooring my storage loft, or doing lots of holes in walls).

keep in mind you cannot use a corded drill to put screws in

I learnt to do that a long time ago from a kitchen fitter. Set the drill to the lowest speed, and keep an eye on the screw, and it can work nicely. I sometimes think we've got to used to modern conveniences, but they can make life a whole lot easier.

ok you can put screws in with a corded drill
it is possible but difficult you are working on the edge off what they can do its the wrong tool for the wrong job
a professional can make most tools work on most jobs because they understand the workings and paramiters of how they work
you need a full understanding which most diyers will not understand

I find an inexpensive mains drill is very handy for those (infrequent) occasions when I have a lot of repetitive holes to drill, or large ones, and a battery might run flat or struggle with speed and power (e.g. counterbattening and flooring my storage loft, or doing lots of holes in walls).
A good point - I found a B+D drill for £5 @ a bootsale 2 speed mechanical gearbox, 2 wire ( double insulated) single speed only. I use it as you do John, it's fine for holesaws up to 2" so far. Found a metabo jigsaw for £10 too;)

ok you can put screws in with a corded drill
it is possible but difficult you are working on the edge off what they can do its the wrong tool for the wrong job
a professional can make most tools work on most jobs because they understand the workings and paramiters of how they work
you need a full understanding which most diyers will not understand

I will admit that putting in screws with an SDS drill can be difficult because of the weight, requiring both hands, so I use one of these with a sliding sleeve to hold the screw:
https://cdn-tp2.mozu.com/10847-14112/cms/14112/files/8e394cd7-a168-4917-bb48-eec26c16e649

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back