Am I better off buying the boiler myself?

I'm with you gas4you, 1/2 day or 1 day boiler swaps are not my style.
Just finishing a combi conversion job and flushing took over 4 hours for 8 rads.

IMO the Baxi Platinum 28HE is an excellent choice with 5 yr warranty peace of mind. I have one of the first ones in my house and it's been great.

Retail price: £1141 + vat and flue £65 + vat.

your merchant is pulling yer p isser!!!!!
baxi platinum 28he+flue+loop+clock+rf thermostat+7 trvs+cleanser+inhibitor+limescale beater

£940 inc vat from mr central heating

Sponsored Links
I'm with you gas4you, 1/2 day or 1 day boiler swaps are not my style.
Just finishing a combi conversion job and flushing took over 4 hours for 8 rads.

IMO the Baxi Platinum 28HE is an excellent choice with 5 yr warranty peace of mind. I have one of the first ones in my house and it's been great.

Retail price: £1141 + vat and flue £65 + vat.

your merchant is pulling yer p isser!!!!!
baxi platinum 28he+flue+loop+clock+rf thermostat+7 trvs+cleanser+inhibitor+limescale beater

£940 inc vat from mr central heating

Read again: That's the price in the Plumb Center price guide. Not the price I pay. ;)

Mind you, I certainly wouldn't be purchasing from Mr Central Heating as they encourage DIY, plus they broadcast trade prices in the national press. Next thing, the public have worked out our margins for a job and begrudge paying fair money for a quality job.

£902 quid including is mr heatings advertised price. But probably like plumb fix and old stock which is only a pain when registering them for g`tee

If anyone ever asks if they can supply boiler i say yeah i will just knock off what i pay for it so unless they are getting boiler from somewhere unusual ;) The job will work out same price or dearer. So not much point

the way i see it is this.

i will tell anybody who asks me to quote for them to go to mr central heating for their kit. THEIR KIT.
they buy it i fit it.
any muppet can go to an orange shed and lift a boiler.
then they forget to get a flue or a clock or inhibitor.
i will look at the job draw up whats required tell them exactly what to get.

they are not paying for my labour, they are paying for my ability to put knowledge,experience and applied learning into practise.

you are basically saying you are getting paid twice for the job ( your mark up on all parts and your labour)

and believe me my way of working has meant i have been working 7 days for the last 3 years,all word of mouth and referrals,and many customers are now very good friends.

Sponsored Links
we only fit boilers we supply but a Vaillant Ecotec 831 (our normal fit) including TRV's, power Flush 140 timer plus flue is £1,950 we take a day and a half on average (change in a day and then half day to finish off Condense, making good to walls, tidying up explaining to customer etc)

Not slagging how you price but WTF would you want to work 7 days a week . 4 days a week is more than enough life is for living not working

sure thing 5 days in my regular work,

weekends on my own

seperate gas safe register cards.as it was with corgi.

all weekend monies means i will be mortgage free b4 im 40.

Fair play ta ya got rid of mine by 38 but not from working too hard. ;)

so you were still robbing then!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

seriously though, been up to queenslie many many times for acs ( domestic and industrial ) and trainers and assesors were bang on.

good practical knowledge and plenty of stories!!!!!!

good to know ye sir

Mind you, I certainly wouldn't be purchasing from Mr Central Heating as they encourage DIY, plus they broadcast trade prices in the national press. Next thing, the public have worked out our margins for a job and begrudge paying fair money for a quality job.

With internet and google being in virtually every house in the country, your business will soon be bust if it relies on keeping your customers ignorant.

The days a company could flourish using mushroom-management are gone.

Absolutely bengasman, but I still advocate that gas appliances and parts should only be available to RGIs. Joe public can see the prices, work out our profits and take on a bit of DIY or get it fitted for cash.

This is why I name my price, and never cut my own throat just to get the work. Missed out on a couple lately to the cash only gangs.

That's why repairing boilers is the way to go if you can, less of us doing it to a high level, job done the same day, happy customer, all paid up and no waiting, cheerio.

With internet and google being in virtually every house in the country, your business will soon be bust if it relies on keeping your customers ignorant.

The days a company could flourish using mushroom-management are gone.

I agree, coming from a customers point of view :)

I think you have to understand that most (well some at least) of your customers arn't stupid they just have little or no experience in your field of expertise, if you ask me to configure or troubleshoot a Cisco network spanning over 50 sites I'm your man but ask me anything about combi-boilers and I have no idea.

With the information availiable to joe public these days most people in my position are bound to do a little of thier own research or face being ripped off or overpaying for an average job - I don't think many people begrudge paying for a good job but they have no way of knowing if they are going to get a good job when they don't know you.

I think the main thing that fustrated me with the quote this thread is about was the £2250 quote of which I have no idea how much is labour, how much is parts, how long the job should take, whats involved (even at a basic level), also when I asked to add on the optional extras such as the wireless thermostat and digital timer the quote stayed the same which I thought was odd - is this because his margins were so high anyway he could just fit them and earn a bit less - I dunno?

sorry that turned into a bit of a war & peace didn't it!

Thanks for all he replies anyhow & lcgs I've sent you an email - let me know if you don't get it my email address is in my profile.

Cheers,
worto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back