Am I earthed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just fitted a new bathroom suite and now I have to consider the earth bonding.

Upon further inspection I noticed however the combi boiler that was fitted two years ago also has no bonding across its incoming / outgoing pipes and whats more my rising main (mains water pipe) which comes in behind the kitchen sink downstairs also has no sign of earth cable clamped to it.

I checked in my meter cupboard and there is an earth block / terminal which seems to have five cables coming from it. Two thick cables which are clamped across the two very thick supply cables from the electricity board and the others (thinner) to the two consumer units. (see photos)

The gas pipe also comes in here to but this is plastic all the way to the house and becomes copper once approx 6" from the floor .

Can I safely assume that none of my pipework is earthed? Shouldnt there be a main earth cable somewhere?

I'm a bit concerned now as I dont really fancy gettin electrocuted in the bath :eek: - (although this is plastic so should be ok unless I touch the taps or run water whilst in it, i'd imagine.)

Obviously I need to do something.

I think I could do with an RCD too, anyone have a vague idea how much this might cost (approx)

Many thanks

][/img]

Sponsored Links
From those pics I'd recommend new Consumer unit + bonding to gas, water and bathroom.
Make sure you get a cert.

£300/400 ballpark.

the main earth cable is that grey one that goes to the main cables - the earth is provided by the metal sheath of those two cables.

I agree with londonboy, a new CU would be the best solution here.

The bottom fuse box appears not to be earthed AT ALL. This is VERY DANGEROUS. :eek: (theres two earths going to the top fuse box AFAICT, and one going off to the right - where's this go?)

Boiler not being cross bonded is not a problem - all the pipes are connected to a big piece of metal. No need for bonding, though some do it anyway.

You do need bonds to your ECPs (water and gas, oil if present and any metal drainage)

Those fuse boxes are well past it. :(

Where in yorkshire?

Why have you got 415V incoming to your house?? Did you have a lot of electric storage heating?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far lads.

Steve,

The green cable that shoots off to the right from the earth box, goes behind the plywood panel and into the lower consumer unit.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease about the earth point.

I am nr Middlesbrough, I dont know why it says Yorkshire, although strictly speaking Mbro is N. Yorks.

Basically the type of supply you have is generally for larger houses/shops.

Nothing to worry about I suspect that head was all the supplier had on em when they fitted it!

Looking at the supply cables they look too thin to be 3Phase.

Ignore that.

You have a three phase incommer, but only one phase is in use.

As for as you are concerned, you have a typical SP supply.

I think we posted at the same time there.

I meant ignore the post about having a TP supply in the first place, not your post explaining it. :LOL:

As I said its a 2 phase 415 volt supply typically used for large storage heating loads.

The head is TP, but that is of no relevance at all.

The supply is a bog standard, common or garden single phase TN-S supply.

Sorry RF you are wrong on this occasion the cables are two lead cables each carrying one phase and neutral. The neutrals are joined up in the head due to the heavy neutral loads with high currend single phase storage heating. This was generally used for OFF PEAK with the afternoon boost one phase was not sufficent hence one phase for heaters and one for normal supply. I do not know ho old you are but you may need to google OFF PEAK as it has not been available for some time.

I'd put my money on those cables being part of the DNO's ring (both on the same phase).

Very rarely does night heating require that much current.

It's a TP&N head, hence the three fuse holders.

It also happens to be a looped supply, probably feeding next door with a SP&N supply.

You can see the cable on the right is thinner then the left. This is the SP&N supply.

Not that any of that matters. The supply is a bog standard, common or garden single phase TN-S supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back