Am I going daft? Type AC, A and B RCD with a Mode 2 charger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking at the specification for a mode 2 charging point, not really wanted to charge a car, more for garden equipment and an e-bike but I read this and could not believe what I was reading.
A type B RCBO is a combination of two functions, a type B MCB and type AC RCD.
MODE 2 RCD INSTALLATION IET REQUIREMENTS

The IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation (3rd Edition) states that mode 2 charging equipment should be protected by a

1) Type A RCD and appropriate equipment that provides disconnection of the supply in case of DC fault current above 6mA or
2) Type B RCD

Am I going daft, is it really telling you their Mode 2 charger does not comply with the IET Code of Practice?

Sponsored Links
Mode 2 charge cables include a control box which has the required protection device(s) in it.
The socket outlet doesn't need any special protection devices, typically a Type A RCD or RCBO is all that's required, which is the same as any other socket outlet.

The Masterplug product linked to is junk, the RCBO supplied with it is totally pointless.
It's just an assemblage of random off the shelf parts dressed up to appear to serve some purpose, and with a substantial price tag attached.

Sponsored Links
What actually is that RCBO? Thats eyebrow raising if it's just a type B MCB with a type AC RCD.

Having recently had the NICEIC do a site visit I am shocked at the level of awareness of this stuff.

Can't wait for amendment 2 to hopefully curtail some of this

Thanks. Very odd. It was not displayed as a link in what I am seeing but, yes, if I click on it I discover that it actually was/is (a link) What I see is just ...
I was looking at the specification for a mode 2 charging point, not really wanted to charge a car, more for garden equipment and an e-bike but I read this and could not believe what I was reading.

Kind Regards, John

Where is this link which I must have missed?

Kind Regards, John
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2813749.pdf was the data sheet I was looking at.

I have not done the EV installers course and at my age not likely to. And maybe we would be told more on the course? I do not understand why an electric vehicle is not Class II? I see no reason for even having the charger built into the car, we never did do that in the past, fork lifts, milk floats and even the 1970's Bedford the charging transformer and controller was not built into the vehicle.

But we have moved from between 24 to 72 volt to 600 volt, so there are some changes, I have three electric vehicles, a mobility scooter and two e-bikes which at 24, 36, and 48 volt. And all have the charger not built into the vehicle, the problem is defining an EV. What we are normally talking about with an EV is a vehicle which uses one or more of the 4 modes.

mode-800x563.jpg
What I read is
Mode two describes the use of a power lead that plugs into a power point at one end and a vehicle charging plug on the other end. This lead also incorporates a box that is placed no more than 300mm from the 3 pin plug end.

This lead is somewhat glorified with the name ‘EVSE’ (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) – but it is really nothing more than a power lead with an automatic on/off function controlled by the car.

The on/off function is controlled within the box near the 3 pin plug end, and ensures that the lead is only live when the car is charging. The charger that converts the AC power to DC for battery charging and controls the charging process is built in the car.

As soon as the EV is fully charged, the car charger signals this to the control box which then disconnects power between the box and the car.

The EVSE control box is by regulation not allowed to be more than 300mm from the power point in order to minimise the permanently live section. This is the reason that mode 2 EVSEs come with a label to not use extension leads with them.

As mode two EVSEs are plugged into a power point, they limit the current to a level that most power points can deliver. They do this by telling the car to not charge at a greater rate than the pre-set limit in the control box. (Generally this is around 2.4kW (10A)).

Putting it simple I have no idea what is in the EVSE, I know what is needed to be safe, it needs to only connect line, neutral, and earth if the voltage is between 207 and 253 volt AC, it needs to detect and disconnect if the DC current exceeds 6 mA, and it needs to detect when the current in line and neutral vary by more than 30 mA. But which bits are in the lead and which bits are in the socket supply I don't know.

I would think anyone who buys an electric car will have a mode 3 charger and it will be installed by some one who has completed the course, so that does not really worry me, but I live 50 miles from old friends and family, so it would seem a good idea to have some thing set up so they can charge car when visiting, so this would likely be mode 1 or 2, and it would seem prudent to fit a 13 amp socket where it can be both used for lawn mover, strimmer etc, and charging a car, it would seem you can't buy the weather proof box for less than the weather proof box and socket, so likely would get one of these
ae235
and swap the socket for the metal socket with RCD I already have which is 10 mA type A. So cost around £10, so then I look at this advert for a Masterplug Mode 2 Charger which costs £50 that's 5 times the price, OK it does have a type AC RCD, but nothing in the house is not protected by a type AC or better at 30 mA, even with a RCD socket still only £20 so it seems charging over double just to have that label "mode 2 EV charging point".

isn't the raison d'etre of that accessory just a cheap cop-out way for housebuilders to meet the requirement to make provision for EV charging?

isn't the raison d'etre of that accessory just a cheap cop-out way for housebuilders to meet the requirement to make provision for EV charging?
That may be the case, with my house with all RCBO's even if type AC should some DC desensitise a RCD it would only be on that circuit, but new build houses tend to have many circuits through same RCD, and not to go through the CU RCD means need SWA cable in many cases, so it would seem a pointless exercise, a simple outdoor socket would be both better and cheaper, and house builders are one would hope not daft enough to pay double for basic same device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back